1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Homework Help

1. Oct 6, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the initial velocity and the maximum height

θ = 28˚
    horizontal range/distance/s = 68 m
    time = 6.30 s

2. Relevant equations

suvat equations not so sure which one though

3. The attempt at a solution

I think to find the initial velocity I use the equation:
    s=ut+(1/2)at^2

I think acceleration horizontally is 0 so:

u(h) = s(h)/t

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2011 #2
    There is no acceleration in the horizontal direction so you can simply use s=vt.

Now you can solve for the horizontal component of velocity and you have an angle so using trig you should now be able to solve for the hypotenuse of the initial velocity.

For the maximum height just remember to only focus on the vertical components and use your kinematics equations.

4. Oct 6, 2011 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use the last equation, u(h) = s(h)/t to find the horizontal component of the velocity. Since the horizontal component of the velocity is constant, what does this tell you about the horizontal component of the initial velocity?

5. Oct 6, 2011 #4
    It is the same as the u(h)?

6. Oct 6, 2011 #5
    Lol I don't know any of this...

7. Oct 6, 2011 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. The horizontal component of the velocity doesn't change, so that is the same as the horizontal component of the initial velocity.

From that use some trig to find the initial velocity and the vertical component of the initial velocity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook