Projectile Motion Homework Help

In summary: Then you can use the equation v^2=u^2+2as to find the maximum height. In summary, to find the initial velocity and maximum height of a projectile, you can use the given values of angle, horizontal range, and time along with some kinematics equations. Since there is no acceleration in the horizontal direction, the horizontal component of the velocity remains constant and can be found using the equation u(h) = s(h)/t. Then, using trigonometry, you can solve for the initial velocity and the vertical component of the initial velocity. Finally, the maximum height can be found using the equation v^2=u^2+2as.
loopsnhoops

Homework Statement

Find the initial velocity and the maximum height

θ = 28˚
horizontal range/distance/s = 68 m
time = 6.30 s

Homework Equations

suvat equations not so sure which one though

The Attempt at a Solution

I think to find the initial velocity I use the equation:
s=ut+(1/2)at^2

I think acceleration horizontally is 0 so:

u(h) = s(h)/t

Physics news on Phys.org
loopsnhoops said:

Homework Statement

θ = 28˚
time = 6.30 s

Homework Equations

s=ut+(1/2)at^2

u(h) = s(h)/t

There is no acceleration in the horizontal direction so you can simply use s=vt.

Now you can solve for the horizontal component of velocity and you have an angle so using trig you should now be able to solve for the hypotenuse of the initial velocity.

For the maximum height just remember to only focus on the vertical components and use your kinematics equations.

loopsnhoops said:

Homework Statement

θ = 28˚
time = 6.30 s

Homework Equations

s=ut+(1/2)at^2

u(h) = s(h)/t
Use the last equation, u(h) = s(h)/t to find the horizontal component of the velocity. Since the horizontal component of the velocity is constant, what does this tell you about the horizontal component of the initial velocity?

It is the same as the u(h)?

Lol I don't know any of this...

loopsnhoops said:
It is the same as the u(h)?
Yes. The horizontal component of the velocity doesn't change, so that is the same as the horizontal component of the initial velocity.

From that use some trig to find the initial velocity and the vertical component of the initial velocity.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the motion of an object that is launched into the air and then moves under the influence of gravity. The object follows a curved path called a parabola, and its motion can be described using principles of physics, such as projectile motion equations.

What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity of the object, the angle at which it is launched, and the acceleration due to gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have an impact on the motion of a projectile.

How do I solve projectile motion problems?

To solve projectile motion problems, you will need to use equations such as the kinematic equations of motion and the projectile motion equations. You will also need to break down the problem into its x and y components and use trigonometric functions to find the values of velocity, time, and displacement.

What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, including sports such as basketball, baseball, and golf. It is also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and ballistics. Projectile motion can also be seen in everyday activities such as throwing a ball or shooting a projectile from a slingshot.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving projectile motion problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving projectile motion problems include neglecting air resistance, using incorrect equations, and forgetting to break down the problem into x and y components. It is also important to pay attention to units and use the correct values for acceleration due to gravity, which can vary depending on the location.