Projectile Motion - Is my work correct?

In summary, there is a question about calculating the height of a projectile at a certain point above the ground. The textbook's answer is 49.05m but the person asking the question is not getting the same result. They are seeking help and have been advised to post their solution attempt for further assistance.
AnomalyCoder

Homework Statement

You drop a ball (0.5kg( from a height of 4m. How long did the ball take to hit the ground?

Homework Equations

Assume that initially the velocity is 0 for the following equations below.
[tex]\Delta[/tex]Position = [tex]\Delta[/tex] Velocity * [tex]\Delta[/tex] Time
Acceleration = [tex]\Delta[/tex] Velocity / [tex]\Delta[/tex] Time

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration is -10m/s due to gravity.
[tex]\Delta[/tex]X = [tex]\Delta[/tex] V * [tex]\Delta[/tex] T
4 = [tex]\Delta[/tex] V * [tex]\Delta[/tex] T
4 = V * (V/10)
4 = V2/10
40 = V2
Root(40) = V

Then just plug in and solve for time.

Root(40)/(10m/s) = [tex]\Delta[/tex]T
[tex]\Delta[/tex]T is approximately .63 seconds.

I don't know if this is right.. seems like a short amount of time to be honest.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow your calc. Looks like you tried to use the TEX code and it messed up. I can't seem to do TEX, either. I'm a retired high school teacher so I do really basic solutions. We know d and want t, the motion is accelerated at g. So we need an accelerated motion formula with d and t in it, but not Vf because we don't know the final velocity and don't need to find it. We do know that the initial velocity is zero. That leaves good old d = Vi*t + ½a*t². Cross out the Vi*t term because Vi is zero. Solve the equation for t. I get slightly less than 1 second.

Using that I got .89 seconds..
I wonder why my solution is incorrect though.
And sorry about the messed up formatting, I didn't realize it was like that..
After all that effort i put into use the TEX code.. oh well.

Why would this not work? All I'm doing is substituting variables.

A = 10m/s due to grav
D = 4

4 = Velocity * Time
Velocity/ Acceleration = Time
Velocity / 10 = Time

4 = Velocity * Velocity/10
40 = Velocity^2
Velocity = rad(40)

Then plug that value into V/A = T
rad(40)/10 = T
T = approximately .63

It isn't correct to use "4 = Velocity * Time". The formula d = vt does not apply to accelerated motion. You should have a formula sheet like this:

Motion at constant speed: d = vt
Accelerated motion: d = Vi*t + ½a*t², a = ΔV/Δt, V = Vi + a*t

In any problem, the first thing you figure out is what kind of motion is involved so you know which formula(s) apply.

I got 0.903 s but I used g = 9.81 instead of your g = 10.

That makes sense.
Silly me, I forgot about that..
Thank you! I'll be sure to use that list of formulas.

Most welcome.
Add to your list of formulas as you go. When you get more exotic formulas, be sure to write the explanation right beside the formula so you remember them together:
F = ma, a = F/m A force causes a mass to accelerate.
Ek = ½mv² Velocity gives a mass kinetic energy

Hi
I am doing my engineering degree and i am stuck on a question i came to the conclusion that the textbook must be wrong . lectures are over and test is soon . can you please help?

A projectile is thrown upwards and passes a certain height after 2 seconds.3seconds later it passes the same pont again.calculate the height of the point above the ground

Answer given(49.05m)

Hi ZARman, welcome to Physics Forums.

It might have been better to start a new thread for your new question. You might keep that in mind for future reference :smile:

I've looked at your question and I agree with your textbook's answer. If you're not getting the same results you'll have to post the details of your solution attempt so that we can see what the problem is.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air due to the force of gravity. It is a type of motion that is influenced by both horizontal and vertical components.

2. How do I calculate the initial velocity of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile can be calculated using the equation v0 = √(x0² + y0²), where x0 and y0 are the initial horizontal and vertical velocities, respectively.

3. What is the equation for the trajectory of a projectile?

The equation for the trajectory of a projectile is y = xtanθ - (gx²)/(2v0²cos²θ), where x is the horizontal distance, θ is the angle of launch, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v0 is the initial velocity.

4. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and altering its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the motion, which can change the object's velocity and direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Some real-life applications of projectile motion include sports (such as basketball, baseball, and golf), fireworks, and space exploration (such as the trajectory of a spacecraft). It is also used in physics experiments to study motion and gravity.