Air Resistance and Projectile Motion Assignment Task

In summary, the student is struggling with a Physics assessment task about cars, specifically the Movie Speed, and needs to find the minimum angle required for a bus to make a 27m jump at a velocity of 30 m/s with air resistance taken into account. They have tried various websites but have not been able to find a solution due to lack of understanding of projectile motion and drag force. The given information includes drag force, air density, drag coefficient, area of the bus, and time. However, the problem is not clearly defined and additional information is needed to solve it accurately.
kobijean
1. Hi, I'm currently in my second last year of high school (Australia) and my Physics assessment task is all about cars, however, a stimulus Item is the Movie Speed, long story short, I need to find the minimum angle required, including air resistance at a velocity of 30 m/s.
2. I have tried almost every website, and I will get halfway through their steps, and something completely out of context comes through, take in note that we have never been taught projectile motion including air resistance.
3. Drag force = 7.79 Newtons
air density = 0.0013
Bus's drag co-efficient =0.8
Area of the front of the bus = 7m^2
I somehow found out that the Δt= 6.122 seconds
and i get fairly stuck after that.
and the jump is 27m

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With any problem, your first is to formulate the problem exactly and precisely. You have not done so; in fact, it is not even clear what the problem is about.

voko said:
With any problem, your first is to formulate the problem exactly and precisely. You have not done so; in fact, it is not even clear what the problem is about.

The question is finding the minimum angle the bus would have to jump off to make 27m jump, (jump is 15m, but av. bus length is 12m), taking air resistance into account.

So there is a bus. Its length is 12 m. It goes at 30 m/s up an incline with some unknown angle to the horizontal. The incline ends and there is a gap whose length is 15 meters. It is still unclear:

1. Is the opposite side at the same height as the edge of the incline?

2. How do you compute drag?

3. Are you supposed to take into account that as soon as the front wheels leave the incline, the bus begins to rotate?

I think you would need to simplify the problem first.
1. Do not consider the bus's length.
2. Can you calculate the angle without taking drag into account?

1. What is air resistance?

Air resistance, also known as drag force, is a type of frictional force that opposes the motion of an object through air. It is caused by air molecules colliding with the surface of the object and slowing it down.

2. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory and speed of a projectile by slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its intended path. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, reducing its velocity and altering its direction.

3. How do you calculate air resistance?

The calculation of air resistance depends on various factors such as the shape and surface area of the object, the density of the air, and the velocity of the object. It can be calculated using mathematical equations such as the drag equation or by conducting experiments in a controlled environment.

4. Can air resistance be completely eliminated?

No, air resistance cannot be completely eliminated as it is a natural force that exists in our atmosphere. However, it can be minimized by designing objects with streamlined shapes and reducing their surface area, thereby reducing the amount of air molecules that collide with the surface.

5. How does air density affect air resistance?

Air density is directly proportional to air resistance, meaning that the higher the air density, the greater the air resistance. This is because there are more air molecules in a given volume of air, increasing the likelihood of collisions with the object and resulting in a greater drag force.