Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion (No initial velocity or time)

1. Sep 10, 2006 #1
    This is the problem:
    Let's ignore the second part, because I can't even get to there yet (sounds simple enough if I figured out the first part).

What I am stuck on, is the fact I have no initial velocity or time. So I have two unknowns.
    Here is what I think I know. The acceleration is 9.8 m/s^2 due to gravity. Since I have the same y position, at the highest point P, where the velocity is 0, it should be exactly in the middle? So 100m.
    If I use, 100m as x when y is at it's highest, I can turn that into a right angle. And do: (100)*tan 45 degrees = 100m. So the height at point P is 100m.

I'm assuming these are the only equations I am suppose to use:
    v= v(i) + at
    x = x(i) + v(i)t + 1/2at^2
    v^2 = v(i)^2 + 2a(x-x(i))

x=100m
    y=100m
    t=?
    v(i)=?
    a=9.8 m/s^2

and also for y, since they are independent. And I think x and y have the same answer in this case, because they both have the same magnitude (at least cut in half). However, it doesn't look like I can solve for anything in any of the equations.

What should I be doing next?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2006 #2
    Basically for question 1 you need to have separate the information into a vertical component and a horizontal component.
    Vertical: u=?, v=0, a=-9.8 and x=100, as you calculated. From here use equation v^2=(u^2)+2as, where u=initial velocity and s=displacement. From this you schould get u=44.3m/s.
    Now Horizontal: velocity is always constant horizontally so u=v and a=0. So use the formula s=ut+0.5a(t^2) and substitute values and transpose to get t. You should end up with t=4.51 secs.

4. Sep 10, 2006 #3

tony873004

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In your example, wouldn't u=44.3 be the total initial velocity. Then he'd need to extract the x-component for the next step giving a final time in the 6 to 7 second range?

5. Sep 10, 2006 #4
    Too true tony, i forgot to breakdown the u=44.3 into a horizontal component. Once broken down it should equal 31.32m/s and this correct value for u leads to t=6.38m/s. Sorry guys

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?