Finding the Optimal Archer Angle for Hitting a Moving Target on Planet Zorg

In summary, the archer on planet zorg should aim his arrow at an angle of 45 degrees if he wants to hit the octomorph in stride when it drops into the water below.
Jennings
Hello everybody. Although this is just a kinematics problem, I am having a hard time figuring out what to do. The question is:

An archer on the planet zorg spots an octomorph that is resting in a tree above water. The octomorph's position in the tree is 100m away horizontally and 100m vertically away from the bow of the archer. The archer shoots a quantum arrow at the creature with an initial speed of 100m/s, however, at the instant the arrow is fired, the octomorph drops straight out of the tree into the water below. If the acceleration of gravity on planet zorg is 98.1m/s^2 , in what direction should the archer aim his arrow if it is to hit the octomorph in stride on the way down?

Homework Equations

y= -1/2g(t^2)+Voy(t) + yo
x= Vxt

The Attempt at a Solution

I have figured out the position of the octomorph as a function of time : y=(-49.05m/s^2)t^2 + 100m

I have no idea how to make the arrow and octomorph reach the same position in the same time. We cannot simply set their equations equal to each other as the arrow has an x component to take into consideration. Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have two equations in two unknowns (the time and the angle). The horizontal location of the arrow has to match the horizontal location of the octomorph, and the vertical location of the arrow has to match the vertical location of the octomorph. Let ##\theta## be the angle (measured from the horizontal) that the arrow is launched. In terms of ##\theta##, what are the x and y components of the arrow velocity? In terms of ##\theta## and t, what are the horizontal and vertical locations of the arrow at time t (relative to the archer)?

Chet

The horizontal component of velocity is (Vo)cosθ which is (100m/s)cosθ

And the vertical component of velocity will be (100m/s)sinθ

The position equation in the horizontal direction will be

X = (100m/s)cosθ(t)

And for the y direction it will be

Y = (-49.05m/s^2)t^2 + (100m/s)sinθ(t)

Im thinking now we might have to combine and somehow manipulate these equations in order to solve for the angle and time. Not sure exactly how since there are two unknowns. Thats what I am thinking atleast.. but i will wait for your response

Also i believe that the value for x will be 100m regardless of what occurs in the y direction. Meaning that the full equation for the horizontal direction will be

100m = (100m/s)cosθ(t)
cosθ = 1s(second)/t
θ = arcos( s/t )

is that right?

How are the x and y coordinates of the arrow related to the x and y coordinates of the octorph when the arrow hits the octomprph?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
How are the x and y coordinates of the arrow related to the x and y coordinates of the octorph when the arrow hits the octomprph?

Chet
The will both have the same x and y coordinates.

Both x coordinates will be at X = 100m

I think also means that the y equations will be equal to each other.

so
(-49.05m/s^2)t^2 +(100m/s)sinθ(t) = (-4.905m/s^2)t^2 +100m

So, you can cancel the acceleration terms from both sides of the y equation. What does that leave you?

Chet

I don't think any equations or calculations are needed to answer this question.

Last edited:
epenguin said:
I don't think any equations or calculations are needed to answer thus question.
I don't think so either, but that is only because we both have lots of experience. I don't think I would have known this as a new initiate like the OP. (Probably you would have).

Chet

Chestermiller said:
So, you can cancel the acceleration terms from both sides of the y equation. What does that leave you?

Chet
Yes they can be canceled.

This will leave the equation as

(100m/s)sinθ(t) = 100m

Im sorry.. but still can't see where this is going. Sorry for the late reply. i had to attend some classes

So you have:

100 sinΘ t = 100

and

100 cosΘ t =100

What do you get if you divide the first equation by the second?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
So you have:

100 sinΘ t = 100

and

100 cosΘ t =100

What do you get if you divide the first equation by the second?

Chet

You divide them so
tanθ=1
θ=arctan(1)=45 degrees

Is that right

Chestermiller said:
Yes.
Thank you so much i appreciate it! Thumbs up!

1. What is 2D Kinematics on Planet Zorg?

2D Kinematics on Planet Zorg is the study of motion in two dimensions on the fictional planet Zorg. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects moving in a two-dimensional space.

2. How is 2D Kinematics different on Planet Zorg compared to Earth?

On Planet Zorg, the gravitational force and atmospheric conditions are different than on Earth. This means that the equations and calculations used for 2D Kinematics will be different on Planet Zorg.

3. What factors affect 2D Kinematics on Planet Zorg?

The main factors that affect 2D Kinematics on Planet Zorg are the planet's gravity, air resistance, and any other external forces acting on the object. These factors can impact an object's velocity and acceleration.

4. How is 2D Kinematics used in real life on Planet Zorg?

2D Kinematics is used in many aspects of life on Planet Zorg, including engineering, transportation, and sports. Engineers use it to design structures and machines that can withstand the planet's unique conditions, while athletes use it to improve their performance in sports competitions.

5. Can 2D Kinematics be applied to other planets besides Zorg?

Yes, the principles of 2D Kinematics can be applied to any planet or celestial body with different gravitational and atmospheric conditions. It is a fundamental concept in physics and can be used to study motion in various environments throughout the universe.