Projectile motion of a football punt

In summary, x=-45.7m/s and y=-9.81m/s. The football has an initial velocity of 45m/s in a direction of 64.9 degrees north of east.
bob1182006

Homework Statement

A football player punts the football so that it will have a "hang time" (time of flight) of 4.50s and land 50 yd (=45.7m) away.
If the ball leaves the player's foot 5.0 ft (=1.52m) above the ground, what is it's initial velocity (magnitude and direction)?

Homework Equations

[tex]x=v_{0x}t[/tex]

[tex]v_x=v_{0x}[/tex]
[tex]v_y=gt[/tex]

[tex]v_0=v[/tex]

[tex]\theta_0=\theta+\pi[/tex]

[tex]v=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}[/tex]

[tex]\theta=arctan\frac{v_y}{v_x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

plugging into solve for x and y component of velocity I get:

[tex]v_x=v_{0x}=\frac{x}{t}=\frac{45.7m}{4.50s}=10.16 m/s[/tex]
[tex]v_y=gt=-9.81m/s^2 * 4.50s=-44.15m/s[/tex]
[tex]v=\sqrt{v_x^2+v_y^2}=\sqrt{(10.16)^2+(-44.15)^2}=\sqrt{2052}=45m/s[/tex]

[tex]\theta=arctan\frac{-44.15}{10.16}=-76.5[/tex] degrees

initial velocity =45 m/s
angle is 76.5 degree's.

but my book says this is wrong >< degrees should be ~65, velocity about 35 m/s

Am I using the wrong equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
The way you calculated vy doesn't make sense...

I would look at your answer for v_y again. Are you sure this makes sense, and is what you want?

well the acceleration is 9.81 m/s^2 downward. time is 4.5s I want to end up with m/s which I do get.

Why does it not make sense?
it says that the ball will be going in a downward path since the v_y is negative.

What way should I have calculated v_y?

hm..well maybe I have the signs wrong? v_y=-gt? but that still gives the same answer.

bob1182006 said:
well the acceleration is 9.81 m/s^2 downward. time is 4.5s I want to end up with m/s which I do get.

Why does it not make sense?
it says that the ball will be going in a downward path since the v_y is negative.

What way should I have calculated v_y?

hm..well maybe I have the signs wrong? v_y=-gt? but that still gives the same answer.

Are you trying to get the initial v_y or the final v_y ? also v = v0-gt. you're assuming v0 = 0

Where is the ball kicked from? How much of that 4.5s time interval that you are using applies to the downward velocity you are talking about?

final v_y since from that I can get the final velocity and direction, and from that find the initial.

The problem doesn't state if the player drops the ball and then punts or punts it while it's on the ground having v0=0. so I'm assuming v0=0.

the ball is kicked from x=0, and that velocity would apply from when the ball is at it's peak until it hits the ground. the velocity is increasing from t=0 to t=time to reach the peak.

Last edited:
bob1182006 said:
final v_y since from that I can get the final velocity and direction, and from that find the initial.

The problem doesn't state if the player drops the ball and then punts or punts it while it's on the ground having v0=0. so I'm assuming v0=0.

That doesn't work, since the ball needs an initial vertical velocity (right when it is kicked)... otherwise there would be no flight... you can't assume v0=0.

but wouldn't the initial velocity be equal in magnitude to the final velocity except the angle of the final is (initial angle + 180*)?
so finding the final velocity will allow me to find the initial velocity?

Or how would you do this? how should I start? finding the initial x-y components?

so initial x is the same, but initial y would be v0 and final would be v0-44.15m/s

and I don't know how you could find v0 there.

Also is that "the ball leaves the player's foot 5 ft above the ground" useless information?

bob1182006 said:
but wouldn't the initial velocity be equal in magnitude to the final velocity except the angle of the final is (initial angle + 180*)?
so finding the final velocity will allow me to find the initial velocity?

Or how would you do this? how should I start? finding the initial x-y components?

so initial x is the same, but initial y would be v0 and final would be v0-44.15m/s

and I don't know how you could find v0 there.

Also is that "the ball leaves the player's foot 5 ft above the ground" useless information?

No, you need to use that. Just use the equation for vertical displacement in terms of time. vertical displacement is -5ft = -1.52m.

>< wow sorry didn't see that...

so [tex]-1.52m=v_{0y}(4.50s)-4.91\frac{m}{s^2}(4.50s)^2[/tex]
which gives v_0y=21.8m/s and combining with v_0x to find v_0 gives 24.1m/s
and angle of 64.9 degrees N of E.

thanks all now I am going to go try another problem like this.

bob1182006 said:
>< wow sorry didn't see that...

so [tex]-1.52m=v_{0y}(4.50s)-4.91\frac{m}{s^2}(4.50s)^2[/tex]
which gives v_0y=21.8m/s and combining with v_0x to find v_0 gives 24.1m/s
and angle of 64.9 degrees N of E.

thanks all now I am going to go try another problem like this.

no prob.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion refers to the curved path that an object follows when it is thrown or launched into the air. This path is a combination of a horizontal motion and a vertical free-fall motion.

2. What factors affect the projectile motion of a football punt?

The factors that affect the projectile motion of a football punt include the initial velocity of the punt, the angle at which the ball is kicked, the air resistance, and the force of gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the projectile motion of a football punt?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the ball's motion and can slow down the ball. This can cause the ball to travel a shorter distance and have a steeper trajectory compared to a punt with less air resistance.

4. What is the optimal angle for a football punt?

The optimal angle for a football punt is around 45 degrees. This angle allows for the longest distance traveled while also maintaining a manageable height for the receiver to catch the ball.

5. How does the shape of the football impact its projectile motion?

The shape of the football can affect its projectile motion by creating varying levels of air resistance. A smooth and streamlined ball will experience less drag and have a longer distance of travel, while a more textured ball will experience more drag and have a shorter distance of travel.