Projectile motion of a kicked ball

In summary, a ball is kicked with an initial velocity of 15m/s at an angle of 37 degrees and a height of 0.8m above the ground. The time it takes for the ball to reach the ground can be found using the formula -y = v_yt - 1/2gt^2, which results in a quadratic equation that can be solved for t. The correct calculation for the time of flight is not 1.8s, but can be found by solving the quadratic equation.
fiziks09

Homework Statement

A ball is kicked in the air with an initial velocity of 15m/s at an angle of 37 degrees; 0.8 m above the ground. How long is the ball in the air?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I resolved the vector into its components and the y component was 9.02
I calculated time to reach maximun height using t = 9.02/9.8 = 0.92

and then the whole time of flight was = 2*0.92 = 1.8s.

please is this correct?? did i do the right thing here?? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not correct. The ball is kicked from 0.8 m above the ground. And it is required to find the time to reach the ground.

Use the formula

[tex]-y = v_yt -
\frac{1}{2}gt^2[/tex]

Solve the quadratic to find t.

Last edited:
fiziks09 said:
I resolved the vector into its components and the y component was 9.02
I calculated time to reach maximun height using t = 9.02/9.8 = 0.92

and then the whole time of flight was = 2*0.92 = 1.8s.

please is this correct?? did i do the right thing here?? thanks

Don't forget that the ball was kicked from 0.8m above the ground...

1. How does the angle of the kick affect the distance the ball travels?

The angle of the kick affects the horizontal and vertical components of the ball's velocity. A kick at a higher angle will result in a longer vertical distance but a shorter horizontal distance, while a lower angle kick will result in a shorter vertical distance but a longer horizontal distance.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a kicked ball?

The trajectory of a kicked ball is affected by the initial velocity, angle of kick, air resistance, and gravitational force. These factors can be manipulated to change the path of the ball.

3. How does the mass of the ball affect its projectile motion?

The mass of the ball does not affect its projectile motion, as long as the ball is kicked with the same force. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the mass of an object does not affect its motion unless an external force is applied.

4. Can air resistance be ignored in projectile motion calculations?

No, air resistance should be taken into account in projectile motion calculations. However, for objects with small surface areas and short distances, the effects of air resistance may be negligible.

5. What is the maximum height reached by a kicked ball?

The maximum height reached by a kicked ball depends on the initial velocity and angle of kick. The highest point of the ball's trajectory is reached when the vertical component of its velocity is equal to zero.