Projectile motion of half a parabola

In summary, the problem involves a ball being thrown off a 3m high cliff at 20 m/s horizontally, and the task is to find the displacement on the X axis, Vf, and tair. The kinematic equations for the x and y directions are needed to solve this problem. From the given information, the time in the air (tair) can be found using the formula d=Vi*t+(1/2a*t^2), where Vi is the initial velocity in the y direction. The value of Vi in this case is 0, resulting in a time of 0.77 seconds. With this information, the displacement on the x axis (Dx) can be calculated using the distance equation in
weesieman
1. I have a ball that is thrown off a 3m high cliff at 20 m/s horizontally, what is the displacement on the X axis, Vf, and tair? (assuming no air resistance)

Homework Equations

d=Vi*t+(1/2a*t2

The Attempt at a Solution

When I tried to solve this problem I couldn't really find an equation that worked. I'm confused about how to find the time in the air with the given information, do you guys know any other formulas that would be helpful for this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you wrote would work. Do you know what are the parameters in it?

You need to think in terms of separate x and y components. The equation you've stated is for the y-component. What is Vi (y direction) in this case? The problem statement tells you. From this you can find t.

Next, you need a kinematic equation for the x direction. It's pretty simple. Think of the forces acting in the x direction. Any guess?

mishek said:
The formula you wrote would work. Do you know what are the parameters in it?

I don't think I can use it because all I really know in that formula is Vi and Acceleration

hotvette said:
You need to think in terms of separate x and y components. The equation you've stated is for the y-component. What is Vi (y direction) in this case? The problem statement tells you. From this you can find t.

Next, you need a kinematic equation for the x direction. It's pretty simple. Think of the forces acting in the x direction. Any guess?

Vi for Y is 0, so I would need to use the formula to find the time, which is .77 seconds, so with this I can find Dx right?

weesieman said:
Vi for Y is 0, so I would need to use the formula to find the time, which is .77 seconds, so with this I can find Dx right?

Yes, but what's the distance equation in the x-direction. Like I said, pretty simple.

weesieman said:
I don't think I can use it because all I really know in that formula is Vi and Acceleration

I think you know one more thing. Check the known data once more.

1. What is projectile motion of half a parabola?

Projectile motion of half a parabola refers to the path that an object follows when it is thrown or launched into the air at an angle, and then continues to move under the influence of gravity. It is called half a parabola because the object only travels in one direction, either upwards or downwards, before falling back to the ground.

2. How is the trajectory of a projectile determined?

The trajectory of a projectile is determined by its initial velocity, launch angle, and the force of gravity. These factors affect the vertical and horizontal components of the projectile's motion, causing it to follow a curved path that resembles half of a parabola.

3. What is the equation for calculating the maximum height of a projectile?

The equation for calculating the maximum height of a projectile is h = (v2sin2(θ)) / 2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

4. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. This is more noticeable for objects with larger surface areas, such as a feather compared to a bullet. In general, the greater the air resistance, the shorter the distance the projectile will travel.

5. Can the projectile motion of half a parabola be applied in real-life situations?

Yes, the principles of projectile motion are used in various real-life situations, such as sports (e.g. throwing a ball or shooting a basketball), launching rockets, and calculating the trajectory of objects like missiles or bullets. Understanding projectile motion is also important in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.