1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile motion of half a parabola

1. Oct 14, 2012 #1
    1. I have a ball that is thrown off a 3m high cliff at 20 m/s horizontally, what is the displacement on the X axis, Vf, and tair? (assuming no air resistance)

2. Relevant equations
    d=Vi*t+(1/2a*t2

3. The attempt at a solution
    When I tried to solve this problem I couldn't really find an equation that worked. I'm confused about how to find the time in the air with the given information, do you guys know any other formulas that would be helpful for this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2012 #2
    The formula you wrote would work. Do you know what are the parameters in it?

4. Oct 14, 2012 #3

hotvette

Homework Helper

You need to think in terms of separate x and y components. The equation you've stated is for the y-component. What is Vi (y direction) in this case? The problem statement tells you. From this you can find t.

Next, you need a kinematic equation for the x direction. It's pretty simple. Think of the forces acting in the x direction. Any guess?

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4
    I don't think I can use it because all I really know in that formula is Vi and Acceleration

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5
    Vi for Y is 0, so I would need to use the formula to find the time, which is .77 seconds, so with this I can find Dx right?

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6

hotvette

Homework Helper

Yes, but what's the distance equation in the x-direction. Like I said, pretty simple.

8. Oct 14, 2012 #7
    I think you know one more thing. Check the known data once more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook