Projectile Motion Problem and Muzzle Velocity Help Needed

In summary, the cannonball was fired towards the castle tower and it flew 5 m above the tower and landed on level ground behind it. The cannonball was positioned 300 m from the tower and was angled at 50\circ to the horizontal. The muzzle velocity of the cannonball was ~35.5 m/s.
AudioGeek

Homework Statement

A cannon is discharged towards a castle tower (near the time when the ancient world was
meeting the modern world). The cannon ball flies 5 m above the top of the 10 metre tall tower and lands on level ground (same level as cannon) behind the tower. The cannon was positioned 300 m from the tower and was angled at 50[tex]\circ[/tex] to the horizontal. What was the muzzle velocity of the cannon ball? How far behind the tower did it land? [up + and right +]

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]d[tex]_{x}[/tex] = v[tex]_{1x}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]t
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d[tex]_{y}[/tex] = v[tex]_{1y}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]t - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]g[tex]\Delta[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
v[tex]_{1y}[/tex] = v[tex]_{sin}[/tex][tex]\Theta[/tex]
v[tex]_{1x}[/tex] = v[tex]_{cos}[/tex][tex]\Theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In my attempts to find the muzzle velocity I figured I could use the equation
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d[tex]_{x}[/tex] = v[tex]_{1x}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]t and isolate the variable of time. Then I figured I could plug it into the equation
[tex]\Delta[/tex]d[tex]_{y}[/tex] = v[tex]_{1y}[/tex][tex]\Delta[/tex]t - [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex]g[tex]\Delta[/tex]t[tex]^{2}[/tex]
So I rearranged the whole thing fully and correctly to solve for [tex]\vec{v}[/tex]. After plugging in my numbers and such however, I ended up with ~35.5m/s where I should have ~56m/s. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, please help, someone?

EDIT: Don't know why my subscripts always turn out as superscripts...

Physics news on Phys.org
your second equation reduces to
y = x*tan(theta) - g*x^2/2v^2*cos(theta)^2
Substitute the values and solve for v.

Last edited:
Hi AudioGeek

sounds like a reasonable approach, i tried it your way & got 55.8m/s... can you show your working solving for Dt?

rl.bhat said:
your second equation reduces to
y = x*tan(theta) - g*x^2/2v^2*cos(theta)
Substitute the values and solve for v.

Thanks, I think I will try it this way! I may have made everything too complicated for myself by isolating v before plugging in the numbers. In order to get remove the half from g, and the square from cos, is that because you were able to cancel them out from each other?

lanedance said:
Hi AudioGeek

sounds like a reasonable approach, i tried it your way & got 55.8m/s... can you show your working solving for Dt?

Great, then I know it does work eventually! I'm able to grasp the concepts, philosophy and ideologies of physics quite easily, and I love it, but I am very far behind in my math skills.

the half is still in there & i think it should probably read

y = x*tan(theta) - (1/2).g.x^2/(v.cos(theta))^2

generally I've always found the longer you can leave things in equations before putting numbers, the more you get used to it and the easier it gets

y = x*tan(theta) - (1/2).g.x^2/(v.cos(theta))^2

Yes. You are right. Typing error.

where did you guys get tan form? nd also why is the last part squared?
can somone please solve this step by step for me? like with the rearranging of the formulas to get that last formula and then how to use that to solve for teh muzzle velocity?
PLEEASe

hi schoolisew

this post is over a year old, you really start a new post

Show us what you can do or have tried & you'll get help on where to go, generally you won't just get a worked solution though

Start with:

[tex]V_{ix} = V \cdot \cos \theta[/tex]

[tex]V_{iy} = V \cdot \sin \theta[/tex]

[tex]X = V_{ix} \cdot t[/tex]

[tex]Y = V_{iy} \cdot t - \textstyle \frac{1}{2} \displaystyle \cdot at^2[/tex]

Then combine...

Note that [tex]\frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta} = \tan \theta[/tex]

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How is muzzle velocity defined?

Muzzle velocity is the speed at which a projectile is launched or fired from a weapon.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. How do you calculate the muzzle velocity?

Muzzle velocity can be calculated using the equation V = √(gR/2sinθ), where V is the muzzle velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, R is the range of the projectile, and θ is the angle of launch.

5. What is the importance of understanding projectile motion?

Understanding projectile motion is important in various fields, including physics, engineering, and ballistics. It allows for accurate predictions of the trajectory and impact of projectiles, which is crucial for many applications such as sports, defense, and space exploration.