How to find muzzle velocity of homemade launcher

In summary, the speaker has created a marshmallow launcher using a small tube within a larger tube and a bungee to launch the marshmallow. They are seeking help on how to calculate the force on the marshmallow and the muzzle velocity using projectile motion equations. A potential solution suggested is to use energy calculations or work backwards from the trajectory. The equations for range and displacement in the x-direction are also mentioned as possible options.
appleallie
So, I made a marshmallow launcher that has a small tube within a larger tube that when a bungee is released it gets launched into the larger tube, smacking the marshmallow and sending it flying. Woo!

My problem is that I want to use the equations for projectile motion, I know the angles I'm firing at and my force is consistent. The only problem is that I don't know the force on the marshmallow or the muzzle velocity! :(

I have the spring constant and don't need to solve the numbers right now, just need help setting up equations.

Here's a picture!

http://tinypic.com/r/245aotl/7

http://tinypic.com/r/245aotl/7

and some dimensions!

http://tinypic.com/r/wlrszb/7

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks great! Welcome to PF.

If you want to predict the speed from the design, you would probably work with energy. How much work is done pulling the cord back, how much is lost to friction when shooting, leaving how much kinetic energy with the piston. From that you could calculate the speed of the piston and marshmallow.

It might be easier and more accurate to work back from the trajectory. Could you shoot a rock or something that has much less significant air resistance? Using the maximum horizontal distance and the shooting angle, you could calculate the initial speed.

oh yeah... i could use the equation for range correct?

r=[(v^2)/g]*sin(2[itex]\theta[/itex])?

or would I use displacement in the x-direction?

Δx = v[itex]_{ox}[/itex]t

1. What is the formula for calculating muzzle velocity?

The formula for calculating muzzle velocity is muzzle velocity (m/s) = projectile mass (kg) x acceleration (m/s^2) x barrel length (m) / barrel diameter (m).

2. How do I measure the projectile mass, acceleration, barrel length, and barrel diameter?

You can measure the projectile mass using a scale, acceleration using a stopwatch and measuring the distance traveled, barrel length using a measuring tape, and barrel diameter using a caliper or ruler.

3. Is it necessary to take multiple measurements to accurately calculate muzzle velocity?

Yes, it is recommended to take multiple measurements and calculate the average to ensure accuracy. Factors such as air resistance, wind, and human error can affect individual measurements.

4. Can I use a homemade launcher to safely calculate muzzle velocity?

It is not recommended to use a homemade launcher to calculate muzzle velocity as it may not be reliable or safe. It is best to use a professional and standardized launcher for accurate results.

5. How can I use the calculated muzzle velocity for my homemade launcher?

The calculated muzzle velocity can be used to determine the range and accuracy of your homemade launcher. It can also be used to compare with other launchers and make adjustments to improve performance.