Projectile Motion Problem: Calculating Velocity, Distance, and Potential Energy

In summary, this conversation discusses a projectile motion problem where a 45.0 kg projectile is fired from a gun at an elevation angle of 30.0°. The projectile is in the air for 48.0 s before hitting the ground at the same height it was fired from. The goal is to find the projectile's initial velocity, horizontal distance traveled, and potential energy at its highest point. The solution involves using kinematic equations, the projectile's weight, and the angle of launch to determine the initial vertical and horizontal velocities, and the total horizontal distance traveled. The vertical acceleration is solely due to gravity.
Flanery

Homework Statement

"A 45.0 kg projectile is fired from a gun. The elevation angle of the gun is 30.0°. the projectile is in the air for 48.0 s before it hits the deck at the same height as it was fired. Ignoring friction find: the projectile's initial velocity, the horizontal distance the projectile traveled, and the potential energy of the projectile at it's highest point in its trajectory.

Weight: 45 kg
Angle of launch: 30°
Total time in air: 48 s

Homework Equations

[tex]D = VT[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

We haven't done projectile motion problems since the beginning of the year. It seems this problem is a random one on the homework assignments. I've completely forgotten how to calculate these. I drew out the motion of it but it's not ringing any bells.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

By symmetry, you know that the time it takes to reach the max height is half of the total travel time (think about it if you're not sure).

Since you know the vertical acceleration, and the time taken to reach the max height (i.e. the time needed to reduce the vertical velocity to zero), you can determine the initial vertical velocity.

Since you know the angle of launch, you can use the above result to determine the initial horizontal velocity, and from that, the total initial velocity.

Once you know the horizontal speed, you can figure out the total horizontal distance travelled.

The max height comes from basic kinematics. You already know the time taken to reach it, and the acceleration.

I hope this helps.

cepheid said:
Since you know the vertical acceleration, and the time taken to reach the max height (i.e. the time needed to reduce the vertical velocity to zero), you can determine the initial vertical velocity.

Hey, thanks for your response! I don't quite understand how I have the vertical acceleration. Do I need to find it from the weight/gravity/time?

Flanery said:
Hey, thanks for your response! I don't quite understand how I have the vertical acceleration. Do I need to find it from the weight/gravity/time?

What defines projectile motion is that the particle is solely under the influence of gravity. That's the only force that acts on it. So, the vertical acceleration is due to gravity.

As a scientist, it is important to approach problems with a systematic and logical approach. Let's break down this problem into smaller parts and use the given information to solve for the unknowns.

First, let's calculate the initial velocity of the projectile. We can use the equation Vx = Vcosθ, where Vx is the horizontal component of velocity and θ is the elevation angle. Plugging in the values, we get Vx = Vcos30°. Similarly, we can use the equation Vy = Vsinθ to calculate the vertical component of velocity. Plugging in the values, we get Vy = Vsin30°. Since the projectile is in the air for 48 seconds, we can use the equation D = VT to calculate the total distance traveled. Plugging in the values, we get D = (Vcos30°)(48s). This gives us the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile.

Next, we can use the equation Vf = Vi + at to calculate the final velocity of the projectile when it hits the deck. Since the projectile is at the same height as it was fired, the final vertical velocity is 0. We can use the equation Vf^2 = Vi^2 + 2ad to calculate the initial vertical velocity. Plugging in the values, we get 0 = (Vsin30°)^2 + 2(-9.8m/s^2)d. Solving for d, we get d = (Vsin30°)^2/19.6. This gives us the vertical distance traveled by the projectile.

Finally, we can use the equation PE = mgh to calculate the potential energy of the projectile at its highest point. Since the projectile is at the same height as it was fired, the height (h) is 0. Therefore, the potential energy at its highest point is also 0.

In summary, the initial velocity of the projectile is V = Vcos30°, the horizontal distance traveled is D = (Vcos30°)(48s), and the potential energy at its highest point is PE = 0. It is important to review the equations and principles of projectile motion to fully understand and solve this problem.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the movement of an object through the air under the influence of gravity, typically following a curved path.

What is a "Projectile Motion gun"?

A "Projectile Motion gun" is a device used to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion by simulating the motion of a projectile, typically using a compressed air or spring mechanism to launch a small object.

How does a Projectile Motion gun work?

A Projectile Motion gun works by using a compressed air or spring mechanism to create a force that accelerates a small object, such as a ball or dart, in a vertical direction. This force causes the object to follow a curved path, similar to the path of a projectile in nature.

What is the purpose of using a Projectile Motion gun?

The purpose of using a Projectile Motion gun is to demonstrate the principles of projectile motion in a controlled and repeatable way. This can help students and scientists better understand the factors that influence projectile motion, such as initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance.

What are some real-life applications of projectile motion?

Projectile motion has many real-life applications, including sports such as baseball, football, and golf, as well as in military and defense systems, such as missiles and artillery. It is also important in fields such as engineering and physics, where understanding projectile motion is essential for designing and predicting the behavior of objects in motion.