Projectile motion problem (moving ships firing a projectile)

In summary: Since we are not given any distances, we can't consider the vertical motion. We can either suppose that is negligible or interpret the shell velocity as just its horizontal component. Indeed, those are the only ways for that velocity to be considered constant.To @Istiakshovon : I think you have misunderstood the statement of the problem and your work is towards solving a different problem. The situation in this problem is like this picture shows
Istiak
Homework Statement
Two ships are traveling parallel to each other in opposite directions with speeds v_1 and v_2 One ship fires on the other. At what angle \phi (with respect to the direction of the firing ship) should the gun be aimed at the target ship in order to make a if the shot is fired at the instant when both vessels are on the straight line perpendicular to their course? The shell velocity v_0 is assumed constant.
Relevant Equations
v=u+at
Question :

1625542736305.png

Solution attempt :

1625542900083.png

1625542909706.png

1625542918808.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Please do not post images of working. That is for diagrams and textbook extracts.
Type the algebra in, define the variables, and explain the basis of each starting equation.

How can we interpret the statement "if the shot is fired at the instant when both vessels are on the straight line perpendicular to their course". I interpret it as follows: The ships are in two parallel lines which have distance ##d## and the shot is fired when the distance between the ships equals ##d##. @haruspex what do you think about this?

Delta2 said:
How can we interpret the statement "if the shot is fired at the instant when both vessels are on the straight line perpendicular to their course". I interpret it as follows: The ships are in two parallel lines which have distance ##d## and the shot is fired when the distance between the ships equals ##d##. @haruspex what do you think about this?
Yes. The original would have been fine had it said:
"if the shot is fired at the instant when the vessels are on the same straight line perpendicular to their course"

haruspex said:
Yes. The original would have been fine had it said:
"if the shot is fired at the instant when the vessels are on the same straight line perpendicular to their course"

well, now that we agreed at the interpretation, I think that in order to solve this problem we need to determine two angles the angle of ##\vec{v_0}## with the z-axis (gravity axis) and the angle of ##\vec{v_0}## with one of the parallel lines.
Edit something tells me that the problem wants only the second angle, the first angle is considered to be 90 (or zero) that is shot parallel to horizontal plane.

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
well, now that we agreed at the interpretation, I think that in order to solve this problem we need to determine two angles the angle of ##\vec{v_0}## with the z-axis (gravity axis) and the angle of ##\vec{v_0}## with one of the parallel lines.
Edit something tells me that the problem wants only the second angle, the first angle is considered to be 90 (or zero) that is shot parallel to horizontal plane.
Since we are not given any distances, we can't consider the vertical motion. We can either suppose that is negligible or interpret the shell velocity as just its horizontal component. Indeed, those are the only ways for that velocity to be considered constant.

To @Istiakshovon : I think you have misunderstood the statement of the problem and your work is towards solving a different problem. The situation in this problem is like this picture shows
ships.jpg

i misnamed the angle as \theta, that is the \phi angle of the problem statement actually.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity alone, without any other external forces acting on it.

2. How do you calculate the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity. The horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's motion can be calculated separately and then combined to determine the overall trajectory.

3. How does the motion of the ship affect the projectile's trajectory?

The motion of the ship can affect the projectile's trajectory in two ways. First, the ship's velocity and direction can add to or subtract from the initial velocity of the projectile, changing its overall speed and direction. Second, if the ship is moving, the projectile will also experience a horizontal acceleration due to the ship's motion, which will affect its trajectory.

4. How does air resistance affect the motion of the projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect the motion of the projectile by slowing it down as it moves through the air. This can cause the projectile to fall short of its expected trajectory and reach the ground sooner than predicted.

5. Can the motion of the ship and the projectile be modeled mathematically?

Yes, the motion of both the ship and the projectile can be modeled mathematically using the principles of kinematics and Newton's laws of motion. This allows for accurate predictions of the projectile's trajectory and can also be used to optimize the firing angle and velocity for maximum range or accuracy.