1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proportions Projectile Motion Problem

1. Feb 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A projectile on level ground is launched with a certain speed vi and has a downrange distance of Δx. What is Its new downrange distance if it is launched with a speed of 4vi instead?
    2. Relevant equations
    Δx=vi*t (I think)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Since it says speed in the question, I assumed that the projectile was launched horizontally, therefore only affecting the downrange distance by a factor of 4. I'm not sure if it is launched at an angle though, but I'm thinking it wasn't.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2
    Although you are correct with your reasoning, my guess is that the intention of the question, although it was not specified, is that the projectile was launched at an angle. Have you discussed the range equation for projectile motion on flat ground? That would be the easiest way to answer the question, though you can reason out the answer without it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted