Projectile motion question (baseball problem)

In summary, the baseball was initially traveling at a speed of 35.99 m/s when it cleared the outfield fence.
boomer77

Homework Statement

The center of a baseball of diameter 8.20 cm is 1.320 m vertically above the plate when it is hit. The blast sends it off at an angle of 30.5° above the horizontal with an unknown initial speed. The outfield fence is 94.0 m away and 11.20 m tall: the ball just clears it. Ignoring aerodynamic effects, what was the initial speed of the baseball?

Homework Equations

-d=vt for the x direction
-any free fall equation for the y direction

The Attempt at a Solution

dx= 94.0m dy= 9.88m (subtracted the height in which the ball was hit at)
Vx= vcos(30.5 Viy=?
t= 94.0/vcos(30.5 a= -9.8m.s^2

d=vit+1/2at^2
9.88=vi(94.0/vcos(30.5)-4.9(94.0/vcos(30.5)^2
v^2(-99.22)= -58323.769
v^2= 5884.13
v=76.7m/s

where am i going wrong in this problem? help will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have Vx=vcostheta; how about Viy=vsintheta? Looks like you have missed that.

thanks for the reply. do i add the diameter of the ball to when it clears the fence too? I'm pretty bad with word problems.

boomer77 said:
thanks for the reply. do i add the diameter of the ball to when it clears the fence too? I'm pretty bad with word problems.
i guess to be accurate to 2 places after the decimal point, you'd have to consider the ball diameter, that is, add half its diameter to the y height (y = 9.88 + 0.04 = 9.92) for what it may be worth.

i'm still getting this problem wrong so my equation in the y direction would be

9.92=vsin(30.5(94/vcos(30.5)-4.9(94/vcos(30.5)^2

i come up with the answer of 3.88 m/s but my problem set says it's wrong

should i be doing something different?

boomer77 said:

9.92=vsin(30.5(94/vcos(30.5)-4.9(94/vcos(30.5)^2

Looks like the correct approach; I'll check your numbers in a bit...I've got to pick up a take out order for the family..

boomer77 said:

9.92=vsin(30.5)(94/vcos(30.5)) - 4.9(94/vcos(30.5))^2

Looks like a math error..I get V = 35.99m/s. Check your parentheses..check calculator set to degrees and not radians..

thank you very much for the help!

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air that is subject only to the acceleration of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

What is the formula for projectile motion?

The formula for projectile motion is:
Horizontal distance (x) = initial velocity (v) * time (t) * cosine(theta)
Vertical distance (y) = initial velocity (v) * time (t) * sine(theta) - (1/2) * acceleration due to gravity (g) * time (t)^2

How do you calculate the angle of projection?

The angle of projection can be calculated using the formula: theta = arctan(vertical velocity/ horizontal velocity). This can also be found by using trigonometric functions and the values of the initial velocity in the x and y directions.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and causing it to deviate from its intended path. This can be accounted for by using more complex equations that take into account air resistance and its effect on the object's velocity and acceleration.

Can you apply projectile motion to real-life situations?

Yes, projectile motion is a fundamental concept that is applicable to many real-life situations. Examples include throwing a ball, launching a rocket, shooting a projectile, and sports like baseball and golf. Understanding projectile motion can also be useful in fields like engineering and physics.