Projectile Motion So many Unknowns

In summary: At Part C:vx=15.8voy=?vy=0In summary, the soccer ball is kicked from the ground level at an angle, such that the wall is hit at (point C) 1.9 seconds later. Point C (the wall) is 5.7m above the ground and the wall is 30m from where the ball is kicked. Ignore the effect of air resistance. Determine the magnitude and direction of initial velocity. How high the ball goes (point B, the highest point) the magnitude and direction
orangem

Homework Statement

Need Help
I have been trying to solve this problem for a while now. I know the quadratic formula has to be used in order to solve this problem but I am having trouble getting started.

Question

A soccer ball is kicked from the ground level at an angle, such that the wall is hit at (point C) 1.9 seconds later. Point C (the wall) is 5.7m above the ground and the wall is 30m from where the ball is kicked. Ignore the effect of air resistance. Determine the magnitude and direction of initial velocity. How high the ball goes (point B, the highest point) the magnitude and direction of the velocity at the point of impact with the wall.

Unknown:
Voy-not given
Vox-not given
Vmag-not given
Angle -not given
Distance to point B-not given
Time to point B-not given
Time from point B to wall-not given
Distance from point B to wall not given

Known:
total time 1.9 sec
Height of wall where soccer ball hits 5.7m
Displacement -30m

ay=-9.8
ax=0
Vox=Vx

At Part B:
Vy = 0

Homework Equations

Vf=Vo+at
DeltaX=V(T)+ .5(at)
Vf^2=Vo^2=2(at)

ax2 + bx + c = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure which formula to use since there are so many unknowns. I was thinking about using the distance formula just to part B and use the quad formula to solve to the two times but the distance to part B is not given.

Or should I use the third equation and say the final velocity is zero?

Is this how to get the Angle:
Triangle
30m, 5.7m, and X as the hypothenuse.
30^2+5.7^2=X^2

X= 30.5
Angle= arc Tan (5.7/30.5)= 10.75

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually Never mind about the angle. I know that is completely wrong for this kind of problem.

For this kind of problem you need to write the equations of motion separately for the horizontal and vertical directions (x and y). Then see what is given for each direction and can be found.
Your equation are some sort of mixture between the two directions.
What kind of motion is the horizontal component?

I know they need to be broken up into two components. There is just not enough information to go from here
X:
Vox-?, Vfx-? total distance 30 m
vx = v0x, x = v0xt,
Y:
Voy-?, Vfy-?, Vy at point B-Zero, Point B-?, Point C- 5.7m
vy= v0y - gt, y = v0yt - (1/2)gt2.

Time 1.9sec

orangem said:
I know they need to be broken up into two components. There is just not enough information to go from here
There's enough information. :smile:
X:
Vox-?, Vfx-? total distance 30 m
vx = v0x, x = v0xt,
Okay, let's start with the x-component before moving to the y.

What are the forces involved in the x-direction? (Remember, you get to ignore air resistance.) Are there any? What does that tell you about the acceleration in the x-direction? And thusly, what does that tell you about the relationship between v0x and vfx?

By the way, before we move onto the y-direction, has your coursework introduced the concept of conservation of mechanical energy yet? If so, it will make the rest of this problem a little easier. If not, it's still solvable anyway. I'm just curious is all.

deleleting my post

Hello orangem,
Well the problem involves you to understand the following points:
(i) How does the horizontal component of velocity change with time?And by that nature how can we express the horizontal displacement of the ball w.r.t the time.The horizontal distance corresponding to a given time is given right?
(ii)How does the vertical component change w.r.t time? How does one express the vertical displacement in given time then?The vertical displacement and the time taken also given.Calculate the maximum height of the projectile.
Then after calculating the components the magnitude and the direction are asked to be calculated.
Note that in your fourth post you gave v(y)=0 at collision which may/may not be true.
Does this help?
regards
Yukoel

Last edited:
Ok x component
No air resistance. The initial velocity will be the same as the final velocity. And there is no acceleration. So as I previously stated Vfx=Vox. Does this mean the Vox=15.8 because displacement=VoxT. So Vx=15.8 and Vox= 15.8

orangem said:
Ok x component
No air resistance. The initial velocity will be the same as the final velocity. And there is no acceleration. So as I previously stated Vfx=Vox. Does this mean the Vox=15.8 because displacement=VoxT. So Vx=15.8 and Vox= 15.8
(Don't forget your units.)

Okay, that looks good so far. :approve: Now come up with an expression for vyi as a function of θi. (Keep it in terms of θi for now, since you don't know what that is yet. Don't worry, you'll be solving for θi soon enough.)

orangem said:
Ok x component

Sounds correct :smile:
Now for the y component?

regards
Yukoel

Sweet.
ok anyways vy = v0sinθ-at

orangem said:
Ok x component
Well, the horizontal component of the ball is 30m, & it covers this horizontal distance in 1.9 seconds, so (V0)x = 30/1.9 . Is that how you got 15.8 m/s ?

If there were no gravity, the ball would travel in a straight line, correct? Let's call that point, D.

But there is gravity, so the ball hits at point C. The distance from D down to C is how far the ball will drop in 1.9 seconds. (It's just like the "monkey shoot" if you're familiar with that.) That's one way to figure this out without too many equations. --- I don't much like looking through a bunch of equations to randomly pick out one that might work.

orangem said:
Sweet.
ok anyways vy = v0sinθ-at
The equation works no doubt with a=g but will that help you in getting the y component here?Think of an equation of kinematics which correlates the total displacement with initial velocity ,time and acceleration.You have the vertical displacement ,the acceleration and the time taken given so the vertical velocity (initial) is the only unknown.
Does this help?
regards
Yukoel

y=VoyT-.5*gt^2 but I do not know the vertical displacement

or Voy

orangem said:
y=VoyT-.5*gt^2 but I do not know the vertical displacement

From the problem statement:

"Point C (the wall) is 5.7m above the ground."​

So you know what 'y' is, you know what t is, you know what g is, so you should be able to solve for v0y, right? :wink:

Last edited:
is it 12.31m/s

5.7=Voy (1.9) - .5(9.8)(1.9^2)
5.7=Voy (1.9) - (17.689)
23.389/1.9=Voy

orangem said:
is it 12.31m/s

5.7=Voy (1.9) - .5(9.8)(1.9^2)
5.7=Voy (1.9) - (17.689)
23.389/1.9=Voy
That looks about right (out to the first three significant figures anyway.) :smile:

So so now that you know the initial y-component of velcity v0y, what's the final vy when it hits the wall? (Back to kinematics.)*

*(At around this point, or a little before, you could use conservation of energy to complete the rest of this problem. But since you've been using kinematics so far, you might as well stick with that, since kinematics works just as well.)

Vy^2=Voy^2+2at
Vy^2=12.31^2+2(9.8)(1.9)

Vfy=13.7m/s

orangem said:
Vy^2=Voy^2+2at
Vy^2=12.31^2+2(9.8)(1.9)

Vfy=13.7m/s
Ummm. :uhh: I think you are confusing two of your kinematics equations, and mixing them [STRIKE]up[/STRIKE] together. (Try a different kinematics formula.)

Woops, yeah I did.

vy= v0y - gt
Vy=12.31 -9.8(1.9)

Vfy=6.31m/s

orangem said:
Woops, yeah I did.

vy= v0y - gt
Vy=12.31 -9.8(1.9)

Vfy=6.31m/s
Okay, that looks correct out of the first three significant figures anyway (ignoring rounding issues on the third significant figure). :approve:

(It might be worthwhile at this point though to consider the "sign" of vfy. You'll end up with the correct final answer anyway, but if you were ever asked to draw the final velocity vector it could be important. Is vfy moving in the upwards direction or downwards direction? If you're still unsure, try that last step using the kinematics equation vf = vi + at, instead of the one that I'm guessing you used with squares in it.)*

Okay, now you have both the final x and y components of the velocity, as the ball hits the wall. You should be able to take it from here and find the magnitude and angle. :smile:

*[Edit: if you are wondering where the discrepancy is between the use of the two kinematics equations, remember every time to you take the square root of both sides of an equation, you need to tack on a ± sign to be rigorous. You can't always assume that the result is positive.]

[Another edit: Never-mind, I should have read your previous post more carefully. I see that you already did use the vf = vi + at formula. Okay then, so now you should be able to figure out the direction of vfy, followed by the overall speed and angle. You've finished all the physics. The rest is just geometry. :smile:]

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is initially projected or thrown and then moves through the air under the influence of gravity.

2. What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravity.

3. How do you calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile can be calculated using the equation R = (v²sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of projection, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the difference between horizontal and vertical projectile motion?

Horizontal projectile motion is the motion of an object moving only in the horizontal direction, while vertical projectile motion is the motion of an object moving only in the vertical direction. In both cases, the object is still affected by gravity.

5. Why are there so many unknowns in projectile motion?

There are many unknowns in projectile motion because it is a complex motion that involves multiple factors, such as initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravity. Additionally, other variables like wind speed and air density can also affect the motion of a projectile, making it difficult to predict with complete accuracy.