Projectile Motion with a backwards Rotation/Tumble

In summary: I'm not sure what you're trying to say with the "test was intentional" bit.The mass is about 400lbs...not making, just trying to locate =)
rg0ldberg
I'm having a bit of a problem with some projectile motion. The standard motion is not a problem, but how to I compensate for a projectile that is rotating or tumbling backwards (nose over tail) at a significant rate of speed. The Tumble rotation is about 50 degrees/second on a cylindrical projectile that is about 59" long and 7.75" in diameter. The velocity is about 800feet/second with a launch angle of about 30 degrees.

I feel as though the tumbling will significantly shorten the flight path. I also feel as though the backwards rotation will impart a torque that steers the projectile to the right of centerline.

Appreciate any insight.

B/r

• Wow
Likes anorlunda
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that sounds like a hard problem. Do you have access to any simulation software that can handle projectile motion with varying air resistance?

berkeman said:
Wow, that sounds like a hard problem. Do you have access to any simulation software that can handle projectile motion with varying air resistance?
Just my grey matter, the internet, and you good folks!

My intuition tells me the mass of the object will be significant to the result.

I can't think of what you're trying to make. It sounds like the sort of projectile that is launched accidentally, like a vehicle explodes and an axle goes flying off. In a situation like that, the exact launch parameters are not well known, making the result of the calculation dubious.

Likes Lnewqban
I would calculate the trajectory of the center of mass, around which the cylinder should rotate backwards.
Then, calculate the total flight time and how many radians of rotation the thing can achieve in that time: if comparatevily slow, the rotation may not be very influncial, other than added drag and some deviation from the vertical plane of flight.

Likes rg0ldberg
ardnog said:
My intuition tells me the mass of the object will be significant to the result.

I can't think of what you're trying to make. It sounds like the sort of projectile that is launched accidentally, like a vehicle explodes and an axle goes flying off. In a situation like that, the exact launch parameters are not well known, making the result of the calculation dubious.

The mass is about 400lbs...not making, just trying to locate =)

So you are indeed trying to find something launched accidentally?

Likes rg0ldberg
rg0ldberg said:
I also feel as though the backwards rotation will impart a torque that steers the projectile to the right of centerline.
Why to the right?

Likes Lnewqban
rg0ldberg said:
The mass is about 400lbs...not making, just trying to locate =)
Is this related to your car accident investigation thread from a couple years ago (which was closed)...?

rg0ldberg said:
Let's assume this is hypothetical...and may need to be in a different forum... but I am just looking for advice, maybe I am being too critical or perhaps not critical enough to get the proper inspections and repairs.

Assume my 2016 Chevrolet 1500 (2419kg) was struck by a vehicle of mass 1458kg. The situation was the right front quarter panel of the vehicle traveling approximately 40mph, no declaration prior to impact (<1.5s from impact to full stop), struck the rear driver's side wheel of my truck, not a glancing blow, direct impact. My truck was moving about 10-15mph as I had just accelerated trying to avoid the collision. I figure the force was about 17,000N (doing head math and I sustained a concussion so it's likely faulty)

My concern is that the impact from the vehicle to the rear wheel did more than cosmetic damage to the rim. The rear axel was binding when I moved from the road way into a parking lot, could have just been the brake caliper was stuck, but I am concerned, rightly so or otherwise, that the amount of force applied to the rear axel and suspension components was enough to cause premature failure of brakes, shocks, leaf springs, axel, or differential.

Thoughts?

• Wow
Likes rg0ldberg
berkeman said:
Is this related to your car accident investigation thread from a couple years ago (which was closed)...?
No but thanks for thinking I am up to no good... =)
as stated trying to locate a projectile that took an unexpected path upon exiting a target. Foot search over a multiple square mile area has not been productive and trying to help the team narrow down the search grid.

was able to calculate exit velocity and angle from high speed video (2000fps) of the impact but the projectile has not been located.

Likes berkeman
ardnog said:
So you are indeed trying to find something launched accidentally?
the test was intentional, the exit angle was unexpected.

A.T. said:
Why to the right?
torque of the spinning mass...i guess it would have to be spinning quite fast to generate enough torque to significantly change its trajectory.

rg0ldberg said:
as stated trying to locate a projectile that took an unexpected path upon exiting a target. Foot search over a multiple square mile area has not been productive and trying to help the team narrow down the search grid.

was able to calculate exit velocity and angle from high speed video (2000fps) of the impact but the projectile has not been located.
Wow, that's crazy! So you have video of the projectile going through the target, but it didn't impact the backstop as anticipated? How far away was the intended backstop (a hill or dune or something)? How far above the ground was the target? Was the projectile traveling horizontally at impact, or with some angle up or down?

berkeman said:
Wow, that's crazy! So you have video of the projectile going through the target, but it didn't impact the backstop as anticipated? How far away was the intended backstop (a hill or dune or something)? How far above the ground was the target? Was the projectile traveling horizontally at impact, or with some angle up or down?
unfortunately there is no backstop, so items are visually tracked on exit, and usually quickly located with a foot search. I've tried to change this, and one day we will implement new tech like LIDAR to track the projectile. target is approx 40" off the ground, projectile traveling horizontally.
Normally exit is level flight. This is definitely anomalous.

Likes berkeman
It is indeed a difficult problem. If you could calculate how far it might travel without tumbling, that would be an upper bound. You might begin the search around halfway to that max.

The tumbling object might also deflect left or right. You said maybe right in the OP. No simple way to guess at the angle.

It might also skip after hitting the ground.

Can you use a drone to do an aerial search? If you're lucky, you may be able to see scuff marks where it touched the ground. Scuff marks would be most visible from overhead when the sun is low in the sky.

rg0ldberg said:
The standard motion is not a problem, but how to I compensate for a projectile that is rotating or tumbling backwards (nose over tail) at a significant rate of speed. The Tumble rotation is about 50 degrees/second on a cylindrical projectile that is about 59" long and 7.75" in diameter. The velocity is about 800feet/second with a launch angle of about 30 degrees.

I feel as though the tumbling will significantly shorten the flight path. I also feel as though the backwards rotation will impart a torque that steers the projectile to the right of centerline.
I suggest two simplifying assumptions:
1) It travels in a straight line (no torque to the right).
2) The drag is an average of the drag for a tumbling cylinder.

This drag plot is from Fluid-Dynamic Drag by Hoerner:
Cylinder Drag.jpg

Based on this plot, I would try a drag coefficient of 0.6 with drag area 7.75" by 59" for the first calculation for the center of your search area. Then bracket it using drag coefficients of 0.5 and 0.7 to get an estimated diameter for the search area.

Reminds me of the time that a neighbor wanted to get rid of a 50 lb thrust model rocket engine by setting it on his back porch and lighting it with a propane torch. I persuaded him to at least point it up. He lit it, it took off, reached about 100 feet altitude at a 45 degree angle, made a 180 degree turn over my house to a path 45 degrees downward, then turned 45 degrees to a horizontal path down the center of the street toward a group of people, turned 90 degrees just before reaching the people, and disappeared in the woods. The whole flight took about a second. We never did find it.

• Wow
Likes rg0ldberg and berkeman
rg0ldberg said:
I also feel as though the backwards rotation will impart a torque that steers the projectile to the right of centerline.
A.T. said:
Why to the right?
rg0ldberg said:
torque of the spinning mass...
That doesn't make any sense. Torque by what on what? And why would it steer to the right not to the left, since the situation is perfectly symmetrical.

Likes etotheipi

What is projectile motion with a backwards rotation/tumble?

Projectile motion with a backwards rotation/tumble is a type of motion in which an object is launched into the air with a backwards spin or tumble. This results in the object following a curved path instead of a straight line.

What causes a backwards rotation/tumble in projectile motion?

A backwards rotation/tumble in projectile motion is caused by an uneven distribution of mass in the object being launched. This creates an imbalance in the forces acting on the object, causing it to rotate or tumble backwards as it moves through the air.

How does air resistance affect projectile motion with a backwards rotation/tumble?

Air resistance can have a significant impact on projectile motion with a backwards rotation/tumble. The backward spin or tumble of the object creates more surface area, which increases the amount of air resistance acting on the object. This can cause the object to slow down and alter its trajectory.

What are some real-life examples of projectile motion with a backwards rotation/tumble?

One example of projectile motion with a backwards rotation/tumble is a football being thrown with a spiral. The backwards rotation of the football helps it travel further and more accurately. Another example is a gymnast performing a backflip, where the backwards tumble helps them maintain their balance and complete the flip.

How can projectile motion with a backwards rotation/tumble be calculated and predicted?

The motion of an object with a backwards rotation/tumble can be calculated and predicted using principles of physics and mathematics, such as Newton's laws of motion and the equations of projectile motion. Factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance must be taken into account to accurately predict the path of the object.