Projectile Motion with few variables

In summary, a cannon is fired from the origin towards a wall located 67.5 meters away. The wall is 17.58 meters tall and there is a person sitting on the ground 12 meters behind the wall. The objective is to determine the angle at which the ball is launched in order to just barely clear the wall and hit the person, with no given information about maximum height or initial velocities. Using the properties of parabolas, the student was able to find the quadratic equation and solve for the maximum height. From there, the basic formulas were used to calculate the initial velocity and the angles of the velocity vectors. However, the professor did not approve of this method and instructed the student to find a different approach using their
Rebelpyr7

Homework Statement

A cannon shoots a ball from the origin. There is a wall of 17.58 meters 67.5 meters away. The ball needs to clear the wall just barely and hit a person sitting on the ground 12 meters behind the wall. No air resistance. What is the degree the ball is launched at. No max height or initial velocities are given. Just two various lengths and height of the wall.

Homework Equations

position= x+vt+1/2at^2 (applies to both x and y)
gravity is 9.8 m/s^2 in the negative y direction
Vy=(2gh)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Using properties of parabolas I know I have 4 points on the curve and I used those four points to get the quadratic equation. Using that I found the max height and used the basic formulas to find the initial velocity and used the two vectors of x and y velocity to find the angle that the ball is launched and got 59.9 degrees which is the correct answer. My professor however told me that i couldn't do it that way and had to find a different way to do this problem using what I know about projectile motion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Rebelpyr7 said:
Using properties of parabolas I know I have 4 points on the curve and I used those four points to get the quadratic equation.

Using that I found the max height and used the basic formulas to find the initial velocity and used the two vectors of x and y velocity to find the angle that the ball is launched and got 59.9 degrees which is the correct answer.

My professor however told me that i couldn't do it that way and had to find a different way to do this problem using what I know about projectile motion.

Hi Rebelpyr7! Welcome to PF! :smile:

hmm … I have some sympathy with you …

but the object of the exercise is to give you practice in using a particular method …

so you need do it the other way as well. :smile:

(in other words: I think you're both right! :wink:)

Problem is I don't know how to solve it any other way. The prof hasn't done anything like this in class so I was out of options.

Hi Rebelpyr7! :smile:
Rebelpyr7 said:
Problem is I don't know how to solve it any other way. The prof hasn't done anything like this in class so I was out of options.
Rebelpyr7 said:
My professor however told me that i couldn't do it that way and had to find a different way to do this problem using what I know about projectile motion.

"using what I know about projectile motion"? :confused:

in other words, nothing?

your professor obviously thinks (s)he has told you something!

Can you start by showing us exactly how you actually did it? :smile:

well what i ended up doing was doing a linear regression with my calculator and finding the quadratic formula of the parabolic curve. i then solved for max height and use that in the formula for initial velocity in the y direction. v=(2gh)^1/2 i then just plugges it into the original equation and solved for t. then I used the t to solve for the velocity in the x direction. with those two velocity vectors i solved for the degrees and got 59.9 degrees. He said what i did was wrong although it is completely sound method of doing the problem. And about him telling me something, he's an extremely bad professor. he hasnt done a single problem like this. every problem he's done had more variables. Thats where my problem is, i don't know how to solve these types of problems with virtually no information.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air, under the force of gravity. It is a type of curved motion where the object follows a parabolic path.

2. What are the variables that affect projectile motion?

The variables that affect projectile motion are the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the mass of the object, the force of gravity, and air resistance (if present).

3. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile is calculated using the equation R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is calculated using the equation H = (v2sin2θ)/(2g), where H is the maximum height.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. This is because air resistance creates a force in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to lose velocity and change direction.