Projectile Motion with initial velocity

In summary: Yes, the solution obtained earlier is valid for any value of A except 0. For 0 the solution is t=0 which is to be expected.
Yashbhatt

Homework Statement

A projectile with initial velocity u making an angle A with the horizontal. Find the time t when the velocity of the projectile becomes perpendicular to its original velocity.

Homework Equations

v = u + at
s = ut + 1/2at^2
v^2 - u^2 = 2as[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an intuitive idea of how to solve it. When the velocity becomes perpendicular to the original velocity, their dot product will be zero. I don't know if this is the right way. If this the right way, I don't know how to solve for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
That indeed sounds like a good approach. So how can you realize your idea? What is the velocity vector at a given time?

It's the vector sum of v(y) = u sinA - gt and v(x) = u cosA

Indeed. So what is the inner product of that vector at ##t=0## with that vector at ##t=T##?

That's were the problem is. I got it as the square root of v^2 - 2 u g t sinA + g^2 t^2. I don't know what to do further.

That looks as the square root of the actual inner product (assuming the v^2 should be u^2), but it should be zero anyway so this does not matter much.

So, do you know how to solve for the roots of a second order polynomial?

Through the Discriminant?

The discriminant gives you some information on the nature of the roots. Let us take something more hands on: If
$$
x^2 + px + q = 0,
$$
what is ##x##?

Sorry, I am not thinking straight. The expression you have is not the inner product but the speed at time t. How is the inner product of two vectors defined?

Mod note: I have deleted the content of this post, as it was a complete solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
just realized i have made the mistake of not making B negative (since the velocity should be downwards)

so the expression should be t=(u/gsinA)

throneoo said:
Let B be the angle of velocity in mid-air with respect to the horizon, such that the velocity is perpendicular to its original velocity.

A=pi/2-B

This expression is not correct as it gives A+B = pi/2 which is not equivalent to orthogonality. Also, note that forum rules forbids posting full solutions until the OP has solved the problem.

doesn't that make the angle between the velocities orthogonal?

vector approach:
u.v=0

(ucosA i + usinA j).(vcos(-B) i + vsin(-B) j )=0

(ucosA i + usinA j).(ucos(A) i + (usinA-gt) j )=0

No, in order to be orthogonal you would need A-B = pi/2. That B is negative is being taken care of automatically by the vector component.

Orodruin said:
No, in order to be orthogonal you would need A-B = pi/2. That B is negative is being taken care of automatically by the vector component.

yup I realized that mistake

throneoo said:
A)

I used this but got an expression I couldn't solve.

throneoo said:
vector approach:
u.v=0

(ucosA i + usinA j).(vcos(-B) i + vsin(-B) j )=0

I used this, but could not solve the expression I got.

If you do the inner product equal to zero approach you should get a linear expression in t. It should be a simple matter of solving this.

Note that what you had earlier was not the inner product of the velocity at t and that at time 0, but the speed at time t. That will never be zero unless the horizontal component is.

I have to this, right?

Yes, so what do you get when you do that?

Yashbhatt said:

I have to this, right?

I got u/g sin A. Is that correct?

Yashbhatt said:
I got u/g sin A. Is that correct?

Yes. The inner product becomes
$$
\vec v(0) \cdot \vec v(t) = u^2 - ugt\sin\theta = 0.
$$
Solving for ##t## gives the answer you just gave.

Note that there is no solution if ##\theta=0## and that the solution for ##\theta<0## is negative, meaning that this would have occurred earlier along the parabola and will not occur after the release.

Edit: Another special case is when ##\sin\theta = 1##, i.e., the motion is purely vertical. Can you explain the result for this case?

Last edited:
Likes Yashbhatt
I actually discussed this with my friend. That would give you u/g i.e. the highest point. At the highest point, the velocity will be a null vector. So, we can take it as perpendicular to the g vector.

Is that correct?

Yes, if the motion is purely vertical, then the velocity on top is zero and the time to get there is just the time u/g which is how long it takes to decelerate u to 0 with deceleration g. The inner product of the zero vector with anything is zero so it is orthogonal to everything.

Okay. Got it. Thanks for helping.

Can we find this for any arbitrary angle A?

What is projectile motion with initial velocity?

Projectile motion with initial velocity refers to the motion of an object that is projected into the air with an initial speed and then moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity. This type of motion can be seen in activities such as throwing a ball or shooting a cannon.

What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by several factors, including the initial velocity, the angle at which the object is launched, and the force of gravity. Air resistance and wind can also play a role in altering the trajectory of a projectile.

How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the formula R = (v^2 * sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is known as the peak or apex. It can be calculated using the formula h = (v^2 * sin^2θ)/(2g), where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

How does initial velocity affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The initial velocity of a projectile directly affects its trajectory. A higher initial velocity will result in a longer range and a higher maximum height, while a lower initial velocity will result in a shorter range and a lower maximum height. The launch angle also plays a role in how the initial velocity affects the trajectory.