Projectile Motion, With out numbers

In summary, the problem is asking for the angle of projection for a body that is projected at an angle where the horizontal range is three times the greatest height. The equations used are vx= v cos(angle) and vy= v sin(angle). If the formulas for horizontal range and max height are not available, the problem can be solved by splitting it into components and using x(t)=vx*t and y(t)=vy*t-(1/2)*g*t^2. The final answer is 53.13 degrees.
hockeyboy
Projectile Motion, With out numbers :(

Homework Statement

A body is projected at an angle such that the horizontal range is equal to three times the greatest height. find the angle of projection.

Homework Equations

I don't know

The Attempt at a Solution

all i got so far is that vx= v cos(angle) and vy= v sin(angle)

This is a really tricky question for me and i do not know where to start.

Physics news on Phys.org

You should be able to look in your text for formulas for horizontal range (R) and max height (h). Use thes formulas to write R = 3 h, and then solve for projection angle theta.

If you don't have these formulas, the problem is a bit longer...

Split in into components. x(t)=vx*t, y(t)=vy*t-(1/2)*g*t^2. Find the range by figuring out when y(t)=0. The height is where y(t) is a maximum. Where is that?

ah. i got it. thanks so much. my final answer was 53.13 degrees.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched at an angle and moves through the air under the influence of gravity. It can be described as a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How do you calculate the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile can be calculated using the equation: h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where v is the initial velocity, θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is affected by the initial velocity, launch angle, and the acceleration due to gravity. Air resistance can also impact the range of a projectile.

4. How does the mass of a projectile affect its motion?

The mass of a projectile does not affect its motion, as long as air resistance is negligible. All objects, regardless of their mass, will fall with the same acceleration due to gravity.

5. Can a projectile have a negative velocity?

Yes, a projectile can have a negative velocity if it is launched at an angle below the horizontal. This means that the object is moving downwards towards the ground.