Projectile Problem: How to Find Distance of Ball Launched at 30 Degrees

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
lkadfj
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A ball is launched at 30 degrees. How far away will it land if dy= 56.2m (height of launch)

Homework Equations


t=vy/g

The Attempt at a Solution


t=vy/9.8m/s
I can't figure out how to find either vy or t
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lkadfj said:

Homework Statement


A ball is launched at 30 degrees. How far away will it land if dy= 56.2

Homework Equations


t=vy/g

The Attempt at a Solution


t=vy/9.8m/s
I can't figure out how to find either vy or t
Heck, I can't figure out what dy = 56.2 is supposed to be. Does it have units? Is it a velocity? A distance? What?
 
lkadfj said:
A ball is launched at 30 degrees. How far away will it land if dy= 56.2m (height of launch)
You seem to be saying that dy is the height from which it was launched (compared with the landing point, presumably). But if so, there's not enough information. From the name 'dy' I would guess it might mean the maximum height reached (as in, delta y), and that the landing point is on the same level as the launch point. If so, there is enough information.