1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile: time max height reached

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "A boy throws a rock with an initial velocity of 3.13 m/s at 30.0 degrees above the horizontal. How long does it take for the rock to reach the maximum height of its trajectory?"

vi = 3.13 m/s
    tmax height = ?
    vf = 0 m/s (at max height)
    a = -9.8 m/s2

2. Relevant equations
    vf = vi + at

(Not sure!)

3. The attempt at a solution
    vf = vi + at
    t = [(vf - vi) / a] = [(0 m/s - 3.13 m/s)/-9.8 m/s2]
    t = 0.319 s

Concern:
    The correct answer is listed as 0.313 s; because my answer is so close, I wondered if this were a typo. If not, I clearly am taking the wrong approach and would appreciate some guidance.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The ball has been thrown at an angle, and the magnitude of the initial velocity is 3.13 m/s. With what initial velocity does the ball move upward?

ehild

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3
    Hmmm . . . so, I should determine viy? If so, 3.13 m/s sin(30) = 1.57 m/s . . . sorry--not clear on how this will help me arrive at what's noted as the correct answer. I did plug this figure into vf2 - vi2 = 2ad, and then determined d from that . . . and then plugged that d into d = vit + 1/2at2 to determine t . . . but I ended up with the same answer, 0.319 s.

5. Jun 21, 2011 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the formula vf=vi+at already. Apply it to the vertical velocity components. At the maximum height, vy=0 (not the velocity v, as the ball keeps it horizontal velocity component during the whole flight)

ehild

6. Jun 21, 2011 #5
    Lol, this is going to seem so simple after . . .

You used: -9.8m/s2

They used: -10m/s2

You got the correct answer under a more precise measurement.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook