Projectile Velocity for Perpendicular Impact on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the conversation discusses a projectile being launched at a height and angle from the bottom of an inclined plane. The question is how to determine the velocity of the projectile so that it strikes the plane perpendicularly. One solution involves setting the x-component of velocity to zero, while another solution involves using normal coordinates and setting the ratio of the x and y components to the tangent of the angle.
Carbon123

Homework Statement

A projectile is launched at height h with velocity v with 0 degrees angle with respect to the ground from the bottom of an inclined plane with an angle of theta.Determine the particle's velocity so that it strikes the inclined plane perpendiculary.

Homework Equations

y=Vo*t+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Could anyone help me to check m work and my concepts ?
First ,I did it by changing the x coordinates to the distance along the inclined plane,then the y coordinates are perpendicular to the inclined plane.
So,my question is ,when it strikes the plane perpendicularly,will it have 0 Vx ?[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
If the x-axis is along the plane, then, yes, the x-component of velocity must be zero for the projectile to strike the plane perpendicularly.
In the proposed scheme, you realize that gravity will point at an angle to the y axis?

Yes, the x-component of the projectile's velocity will be zero when it crashes perpendicular into the plane.
What should the angle of its velocity then be in the "normal\usual" x-y coordintate system? :wink:

@SimonBridge Yes i solved the problem by setting Vx in the changed coordinates to 0,and also have g equal g cos theta in y direction,and g sin theta in x direction.@andrevdh So if it is in normal coordinates then it will have Vx /Vy =tan theta (probably ?).I haven't tried to use normal coordinates yet.

What is a perpendicular projectile?

A perpendicular projectile is an object that is launched at an angle of 90 degrees relative to the ground. This means that the object's path will be perpendicular to the ground, creating a straight line of motion.

What are some examples of perpendicular projectiles?

Some examples of perpendicular projectiles include a ball being thrown straight up in the air, a rocket launching straight up into the sky, and a bullet fired straight into a target.

How is the motion of a perpendicular projectile affected by gravity?

Gravity affects the motion of a perpendicular projectile by pulling it downwards, causing it to accelerate towards the ground. This acceleration is constant, and is represented by the value of 9.8m/s² on Earth.

Can a perpendicular projectile have a horizontal component of motion?

No, a perpendicular projectile does not have a horizontal component of motion because it is launched at a right angle to the ground. This means that the object will only have a vertical component of motion and will not move horizontally.

How can the trajectory of a perpendicular projectile be calculated?

The trajectory of a perpendicular projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. Other factors such as air resistance may also need to be considered for more accurate calculations.