1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectiles - Are my answers correct?

1. Sep 14, 2012 #1
    Just two questions, if anyone has the time to check over my answers (no mark scheme is available).

Q1. A particle P moves on the x-axis. The acceleration of P at time t seconds, t ≥ 0 is (3t+5) ms^-2 in the positive x-direction. When t = 0, the velocity of P is 2 ms^-1 in the positive x-direction. When t = T, the velocity of P is 6ms^-1 in the positive x direction. Find the value of T.

Working:

integrating the acceleration to find the velocity, I get ((3t^2)/2) + 5t + C, finding the constant by using v = 2 when t = 0, the constant is 0

so v = 6, when t = T
    6 = (3T^2)/2 + 5T + 2

solving this to get T = 3/2 or T = -4
    as t ≥ 0, T = 3/2

Q9.

A particle P moves along the x-axis. At time t seconds the velocity of P is v ms^-1 in the positive x-direction, where v = 3t^2 - 4t + 3. When t = 0, P is at the origin 0. Find the distance of P from O when P is moving with minimum velocity.

Taking the derivative of v, we get 6t - 4, letting that = 0 we get t = 2/3.

then we integrate the velocity to get an equation of the displacement, and P is at O when t = 0 the constant is 0, so the displacement: x = t^3 - 2t^2 + 3t

substuting t = (2/3) we get the distance to be (38/27)

If anyone could actually check over these (I need correct answers!) it'd be really good help!

Thank yoU!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2012 #2

lewando

Gold Member

For Q1, I get T= 2/3 and -4

You should be able to put your answers back into the equation for a sanity check.

4. Sep 14, 2012 #3
    Sorry! That was a typo, is everything else ok.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook