Projectiles - Are my answers correct?

• Thread starter phospho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectiles
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about particles moving on the x-axis, one involving finding the value of T in a given equation and the other involving finding the distance from the origin when the particle is moving with minimum velocity. The answers to these questions are T= 3/2 and (38/27) respectively. The conversation also mentions using integration and taking derivatives as part of the working process.
phospho
Just two questions, if anyone has the time to check over my answers (no mark scheme is available).

Q1. A particle P moves on the x-axis. The acceleration of P at time t seconds, t ≥ 0 is (3t+5) ms^-2 in the positive x-direction. When t = 0, the velocity of P is 2 ms^-1 in the positive x-direction. When t = T, the velocity of P is 6ms^-1 in the positive x direction. Find the value of T.

Working:

integrating the acceleration to find the velocity, I get ((3t^2)/2) + 5t + C, finding the constant by using v = 2 when t = 0, the constant is 0

so v = 6, when t = T
6 = (3T^2)/2 + 5T + 2

solving this to get T = 3/2 or T = -4
as t ≥ 0, T = 3/2

Q9.

A particle P moves along the x-axis. At time t seconds the velocity of P is v ms^-1 in the positive x-direction, where v = 3t^2 - 4t + 3. When t = 0, P is at the origin 0. Find the distance of P from O when P is moving with minimum velocity.

Taking the derivative of v, we get 6t - 4, letting that = 0 we get t = 2/3.

then we integrate the velocity to get an equation of the displacement, and P is at O when t = 0 the constant is 0, so the displacement: x = t^3 - 2t^2 + 3t

substuting t = (2/3) we get the distance to be (38/27)

If anyone could actually check over these (I need correct answers!) it'd be really good help!

Thank yoU!

Physics news on Phys.org
For Q1, I get T= 2/3 and -4

You should be able to put your answers back into the equation for a sanity check.

lewando said:
For Q1, I get T= 2/3 and -4

You should be able to put your answers back into the equation for a sanity check.

Sorry! That was a typo, is everything else ok.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is launched or thrown and moves through the air under the force of gravity. Examples of projectiles include a baseball being thrown by a pitcher or a bullet being fired from a gun.

2. What is the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is the path it takes through the air. It is influenced by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of launch, and air resistance. In a vacuum, a projectile's trajectory would be a perfect parabola.

3. How does air resistance affect projectiles?

Air resistance, also known as drag, slows down a projectile's motion and changes its trajectory. This is because air molecules push against the projectile as it moves through the air, creating a force that opposes its motion.

4. What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is achieved when the vertical component of its velocity is zero. This occurs at the apex of its trajectory. The maximum height depends on the initial velocity and angle of launch.

5. How can we calculate the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It can be calculated using the equation: R = (v2 * sin(2θ)) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).