1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectiles launched horizontally

1. Oct 10, 2006 #1
    okay so heres the problem..

the fastest recored pitch in MLB was thrown by nolan ryan in 1974. if this pitch were thrown horizontally, the ball would fall 0.809 m by the time it reached the home plate, 18.3 m away. how fast was this pitch?

the book suggests the equation
    delta y = -1/2g(deltat)squared

we just started this lesson and i'm really not sure what variable represents what in this problem :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you simply want to know how to use the formula, then the variables are as follows;

y is the vertical displacement
    g is the acceleration due to gravity
    Δt is the time of flight

4. Oct 10, 2006 #3
    well, would it be .809=-1/2(g)(t)squared, what else are you supposed to do with this? like where does the horizontal displacement go

5. Oct 10, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's right. You now need to solve for the time of flight t. You can then use this together with the horizontal displacement to find the initial velocity.

6. Oct 10, 2006 #5
    ahh im completely lost now i tried to isolate teh unknwon (t) from the rest of the problem and got t= the square root of 2(delta y)/-g

but the book says that is only for when delta y is negative. can someone explian this problem to me step by step? im reallly confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?