Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projecting images onto mirror

1. Nov 10, 2008 #1
    Hi. I am an artist and currently working on a project using mirrors. I need to transfer an image (portrait photo) onto a mirror so I can trace directly on the mirror surface so I have the guides to then paint over it. I would like to be able to use an overhead projector but of course the light bounces straight off the mirror. Does anyone have a solution for this? I could use the traditional method of drawing a grid and transposing by eye and measurement but I have a few of these to do and time is off the essence!

Tips?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2008 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Carbon paper. You can buy packs of em cheap.
    Place carbon paper over the mirror. Project your image on the carbon paper. Trace your lines on the carbon paper, it will transfer to the mirror.

4. Nov 10, 2008 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Danbeard.
    I can think of a few approaches, but I somehow doubt that they would meet your needs. The first, most obvious, one would be to do your painting on a thin-film transparency and then bond it to the mirror surface.
    Secondly, I would think of doing it on a regular sheet of glass, and then applying the silvering agent to the back after it's done.
    Then again, you could coat the front of the mirror with an easily soluble opaque substance. You could paint over that, then wash away the part that is unpainted. You'd have to test that first, though, to make sure that the stuff under the paint doesn't dissolve and take the paint with it.

edit: Hi, Dave. You sneaked in on me. Good idea.

5. Nov 10, 2008 #4
    Hi guys. Thanks for the quick replies. Of course, carbon paper is a great idea. I hope it transfers alright onto glass, i'll try it out tomorrow. I think i will also try the dissolvable paint base idea too. Draw the image on then rub/wash away the areas not drawn on. Just got to think of the right stuff though. If you have any ideas for that let me know.

Thanks alot.

6. Nov 10, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

The base would depend upon what kind of paint you're using. You need something that not only won't react with the paint itself, but is soluble in something that won't damage the paint. Oil, water-colour, acrylic, enamel, etc. would all require a different substrate. For instance, a water-soluble base would work great with enamel.

7. Nov 10, 2008 #6
    I think water soluble would be best. I would wash/rub it away before I paint anything, leaving just the area I will paint over (for example the head and shoulders). After drawing the image as I want it on the mirror I then paint a layer of acrylic lacquer (auto clear coat) then add additional layers of lacquer each time and paint with oils in the wet layers. Very nice effects can happen this way.

8. Nov 10, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

Sounds cool. When you're done, if it doesn't violate any confidentiality or copyrights, you should post a picture of it in GD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?