What type of map can i project onto a sphere to eliminate distortion

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
VegaMan
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
This is not actual "homework." I am building a POV globe and I want to get as accurate of a projection as possible. The images I will upload into the globe will be a simple 2 dimensional image projected onto a 3 dimensional plane. I have researched and it appears that a Mercator type map is the best bet for this but I am unsure. If a Mercator map will still provide distortion, does anyone know what the "aspect ratio" of the Earth would be, so that I can manually distort the image or should I not even make the image rectangular?

This is basically what I'm going for except with color
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure you can entirely eliminate distortion but you can minimize it with a Goodes Homolosine Projection. You will note that the north and south poles are ripped up a bit but if you graft a mercator version of those two land masses onto the homolosine you can probably get a good result. I have no idea how to do it. Maybe these folks do.