1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What type of map can i project onto a sphere to eliminate distortion

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    This is not actual "homework." I am building a POV globe and I want to get as accurate of a projection as possible. The images I will upload into the globe will be a simple 2 dimensional image projected onto a 3 dimensional plane. I have researched and it appears that a Mercator type map is the best bet for this but I am unsure. If a Mercator map will still provide distortion, does anyone know what the "aspect ratio" of the earth would be, so that I can manually distort the image or should I not even make the image rectangular?

This is basically what i'm going for except with color

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2012 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure you can entirely eliminate distortion but you can minimize it with a Goodes Homolosine Projection. You will note that the north and south poles are ripped up a bit but if you graft a mercator version of those two land masses onto the homolosine you can probably get a good result. I have no idea how to do it. Maybe these folks do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook