1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about arithmetic progressions

1. Jun 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that there exist arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions formed of different
    positive integers such that every two terms of these progressions are relatively prime.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I first thought of looking at odd numbers separated by a powers of 2 but I don't think this forms a progression.
    It seems weird to me because if I have a+bx where a and b are fixed constants so I am adding
    a multiple of x eventually x will equal a and then 2a so they wont be relatively prime.
    unless its like how we can have arbitrarily long composite numbers because of n!+2.....n!+n
    then I could just maybe add a multiple of the prime between n! and 2n!.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Right, and the conclusion is that no infinite arithmetic progression with that property can exist.
    If you want to avoid a common divisor of 2 for an arbitrary progression length, how can you do that? (You found the answer already)
    If you want to avoid a common divisor of 3 for an arbitrary progression length, how can you do that? In particular, what can you say about b?
    ... generalize to all primes.

4. Jun 21, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes, you have to read the question aright. It's not saying there exists a progression that is arbitrarily long, but that for any given N you can find a progression longer than N.

5. Jun 24, 2013 #4
    ok so I guess I could use this progression 1+n!,1+2n!,1+3n!,.........1+(n)n!,
    all of these are relatively prime because if i take an two term in this progression and look at their
    difference rn!+1-(kn!+1) where k<r<n+1 then i get n!(r-k) and (r-k)<n and none of these terms are divisible
    by any of the prime factors of n! or r-k.

6. Jun 24, 2013 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is the right answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted