1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about arithmetic progressions

1. Mar 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that there exist arbitrarily long arithmetic progressions formed of different positive integers such that every 2 terms of these progressions are relatively prime.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    First i started to think about the odd integers like 2x+1 and how consecutive odd integers are relatively prime because their difference is 2 , but im pretty sure the question is asking about any 2 terms in the progression. Then i started to think about progressions of odd numbers that were separated by powers of 2 but then this would be a progression because the difference between consecutive numbers would not be the same. Then I was trying to think of something i could do with a factorial.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Deleted - sorry, I wasn't thinking straight.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  4. Mar 27, 2014 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If two terms have a common factor, p, what can you say about their difference? If the step size is n!, what can you say about the relationship between p and n?

5. Mar 27, 2014 #4
    ok thanks for the hint haruspex, I think n!x+1 will work where x=1,2,3....... and n is a natural number as large as you like. if we look at the difference between any 2 of the terms in the progression.
    like n!(x+a)+1-(n!x+1) =n!a where n>x+a , if n!(x+a)+1 and n!x+1 had common factors then it should divide their difference but their difference is n!a, and none of those factors divide n!x+1 because their would be a remainder because n! contains all the factors 1 up to n.

6. Mar 28, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Glad that worked - seemed like it should but I hadn't checked the details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted