Proof about Constructibility of complex numbers

In summary, if p is prime and e^{2 \pi i/p} is constructable, then p=2^k+1 for a positive integer k. This can be proven by showing that the degree of the extension Q(e^{2pi i/p})/Q is a power of two, which implies that p must be one more than a power of 2.
AlexChandler

Homework Statement

Show that if p is prime and [tex] e^{2 \pi i/p} [/tex] is constructable

then [tex] p=2^k+1 [/tex] for a positive integer k

Homework Equations

[tex] e^{i \theta} = Cos \theta + iSin \theta [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

By definition, a complex number a+bi is constructible if a and b are constructible. Thus we know that

[tex] Cos(2 \pi /p) , Sin(2 \pi /p) [/tex] are constructible

I have tried finding a polynomial such that these are roots but I am having trouble here. We have a theorem that if a real number is a root of a polynomial of some degree that is not a power of 2, then the number is not constructible. I am trying to use this to show that p must be one more than a power of 2, but I'm not sure how to construct these polynomials. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know that cos(2pi/p) and sin(2pi/p) are constructible, then you can conclude that the degree of the extension Q(cos(2pi/p),sin(2pi/p))/Q is a power of two (why?). What does this tell you about the degree of Q(e^{2pi i/p})/Q?

1. What is the concept of constructibility in mathematics?

Constructibility in mathematics refers to the ability to create a geometric figure using only a straightedge and compass. This means that the figure can be constructed using only straight lines and circles.

2. How were complex numbers first introduced and why were they considered controversial?

Complex numbers were first introduced in the 16th century by Italian mathematicians to solve equations that had no real solutions. They were considered controversial because they involved the use of imaginary numbers, which were initially seen as abstract and nonsensical.

3. What is the proof that complex numbers are constructible?

The proof for the constructibility of complex numbers is based on the fact that a number is constructible if and only if its corresponding line segment is constructible. Complex numbers can be represented as points on a complex plane, and it has been proven that all constructible points on a plane can be constructed using only a straightedge and compass.

4. Are there any limitations to the constructibility of complex numbers?

Yes, there are limitations to the constructibility of complex numbers. While all algebraic numbers (numbers that can be expressed as the root of a polynomial equation with rational coefficients) are constructible, not all complex numbers are algebraic. For example, the number pi is not constructible even though it is a complex number.

5. How does the constructibility of complex numbers relate to other areas of mathematics?

The constructibility of complex numbers has implications in various areas of mathematics, such as geometry and abstract algebra. It is also closely related to the concept of field extensions, which is used in many branches of mathematics, including number theory and algebraic geometry.