1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about Constructibility of complex numbers

1. Jan 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that if p is prime and [tex] e^{2 \pi i/p} [/tex] is constructable

then [tex] p=2^k+1 [/tex] for a positive integer k

2. Relevant equations

[tex] e^{i \theta} = Cos \theta + iSin \theta [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

By definition, a complex number a+bi is constructible if a and b are constructible. Thus we know that

[tex] Cos(2 \pi /p) , Sin(2 \pi /p) [/tex] are constructible

I have tried finding a polynomial such that these are roots but I am having trouble here. We have a theorem that if a real number is a root of a polynomial of some degree that is not a power of 2, then the number is not constructible. I am trying to use this to show that p must be one more than a power of 2, but i'm not sure how to construct these polynomials. Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2012 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you know that cos(2pi/p) and sin(2pi/p) are constructible, then you can conclude that the degree of the extension Q(cos(2pi/p),sin(2pi/p))/Q is a power of two (why?). What does this tell you about the degree of Q(e^{2pi i/p})/Q?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook