1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof about dense set and continuous function

1. Feb 6, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If f is continuous, and f(x) = 0 for all x in A, where A is a dense set. Then f(x) = 0 for all x.

I am using the following definitions:
    A set of real numbers A is dense if every open interval contains a point of A.
    And the limit definition for a continuous function.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose there is an a such that f(a) > 0, then since f is continuous, there is an δ > 0, such that, for all x,
    if |x - a| < δ, then |f(x) - f(a)| < f(a). So f(x) > 0 for all x in (-δ + a, δ + a).
    But since (-δ + a, δ + a) is an open interval it contains a point of A call it z, but that is impossible, because then f(z) = 0 (By hypothesis), and f(z) > 0 because f(x) > 0 for all x in (-δ + a, δ + a). Assuming there is an a such that f(a) > 0 leads to a contradiction.

I did basically the same to show that there are no x with f(x) < 0.
    Therefore f(x) = 0 for all x.

Am I correct?

Also, hello.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2013 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

That would be correct.

As a matter of correctness though, you should really mention somewhere what the codomain and domain of f are. I assume here that you're working with [itex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook