Proof by induction of a sequence.

In summary, the given sequence of rational numbers, defined inductively, is proven to satisfy the statement 1<=sn<=2 for all n>=1. The solution involves using the statement P(n) and applying the AM-GM inequality to prove that P(n+1) holds. The solution provided in the conversation contains a mistake in the inequality, which is corrected in the subsequent steps.
missavvy

Homework Statement

Given a sequence of rational numbers, defined inductively as follows:

s1 = 1, sn+1 = sn/2 + 1/sn, n>=1

prove that 1<=sn<=2 forall n>=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got the solution to this but I don't understand a certain part, I was hoping someone could explain it to me?

So Let P(n) be the statement 1<=sn<=2
P(1) is satisfied.
Suppose P(n) holds.
Then sn+1 = sn/2 + 1/sn >= 1/2 + 1/2 = 1, because sn/2>=1/2 and 1/sn<=1/2

The bold part is what i don't understand. Wouldn't that imply that sn >= 2?
Am I mistaken or is there maybe an error in this solution?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The inequality is written backwards. It should read [tex] \frac{1}{s_n} \geq \frac{1}{2}[/tex], which of course is what you need to write the >= earlier in that line

thanks I thought so... But then this solution continues as follows...

Moreover, Sn+1 = sn/2 + 1/sn <= 2/2 + 1/2 <= 3/2 <= 2

I'm unsure about this, because then wouldn't you need 1/sn <= 1/2 for this step?

Ok forgetting about that solution, if I were to say:

Sn+1 = Sn/2 + 1/Sn >= 1/2 + 1/2 = 1
and
Sn+1 = sn/2 + 1/Sn <= 1 + 1 = 2

Is this right and proves that P(n+1) holds?

Last edited:
You can use AM-GM inequality.

1. What is proof by induction of a sequence?

Proof by induction of a sequence is a mathematical method used to prove that a statement or property holds for all natural numbers. It involves two steps: the base case, where the statement is proven to be true for the first value in the sequence, and the inductive step, where the statement is shown to hold for the next value assuming it holds for the previous value.

2. How is proof by induction different from other methods of proof?

Proof by induction is a specific type of mathematical proof that is used for statements that depend on the natural numbers. It differs from other methods of proof, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction, in that it uses the principle of mathematical induction to establish the truth of a statement for an infinite number of cases.

3. What is the principle of mathematical induction?

The principle of mathematical induction states that if a statement is true for the first value in a sequence and it is also true for the next value assuming it is true for the previous value, then the statement is true for all values in the sequence. This principle is the basis of proof by induction and is used to prove statements about natural numbers.

4. Can proof by induction be used for all types of sequences?

No, proof by induction can only be used for sequences that follow a specific pattern, such as the natural numbers. It cannot be used for sequences that do not have a clear starting point or a predictable pattern.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using proof by induction?

One common mistake is assuming that the statement is true for all values in the sequence without first proving it for the base case. Another mistake is assuming that the statement is true for the next value without properly showing that it follows from the previous value. It is also important to make sure that the statement is true for all values in the sequence and not just a subset of them.