Help with Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)

In summary, the given expression is a sum of terms that involve factorials and a denominator that starts at 3 and increases up to n. However, this does not make sense for n=1 or n=2. If the denominator had an additional factor of 2, the resulting expression would simply be a sum of 1/2, which can be simplified to n/2.
RealKiller69

Homework Statement

∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)

s1=1/3
sn=1/3+2/(4*3)+3!/(5*4*3)+...+n!/(3*4*5*...n)

so i multiplied the sum with 1/2sn=1/6+1/(4*3)+1/(5*4)+1/(6*5)...+1/((n+2)(n-1))

got blocked here,i don't know how to continue, help please

Physics news on Phys.org
RealKiller69 said:

Homework Statement

∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)

s1=1/3
sn=1/3+2/(4*3)+3!/(5*4*3)+...+n!/(3*4*5*...n)

so i multiplied the sum with 1/2sn=1/6+1/(4*3)+1/(5*4)+1/(6*5)...+1/((n+2)(n-1))

got blocked here,i don't know how to continue, help please

What are the indices on the sum? The denominator makes no sense when n = 1. If the denominator had an additional factor of 2, what would you have?

LCKurtz said:
What are the indices on the sum? The denominator makes no sense when n = 1. If the denominator had an additional factor of 2, what would you have?
they are multiply symbols," * "=" x "

LCKurtz said:

RealKiller69 said:
they are multiply symbols," * "=" x "

I knew that. But you didn't answer either of my questions. What is the range of the summation? What about n = 1? What about my last question?

LCKurtz said:
I knew that. But you didn't answer either of my questions. What is the range of the summation? What about n = 1? What about my last question?
the range is infinite
n=1 S1=1/3
n=2 S2=1/3+2/12
n=3 S3=1/3+2/12+3!/5*4*3
n=∞ Sn=1/3+2/12+3!/5*4*3...n!/(3*4*5*6*...*n)

You still aren't getting it. Your nth term is ##\frac{n!}{3\cdot4\cdot...\cdot n}##. That denominator is 3 times 4 times... up to n. It starts at 3 and works up to n. It makes no sense if n=1 or n=2 because you can't start at 3 and work up to 1 or 2.

Also, you keep ignoring my last question. If there was a 2 in that denominator, how would it be different from the numerator? You can do some simplification.

Likes RealKiller69
You appear to be copying things that you really do not understand. You say that the summand is [itex]\frac{n!}{3*4*\cdot\cdot\cdot n}[/itex] but that \certainly implies that n is at least 5: [itex]\frac{5!}{3*4*5}+ \frac{6!}{3*4*5*6}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex].

Of course, n! means n(n-1)(n- 2)...(3)(2)(1) so that, for any n [itex]\frac{n!}{3*4*\cdot\cdot\cdot*n}= \frac{1*2*3*4\cdot\cdot\cdot n}{3*4*5\cdot\cdot\cdot n}= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] so, if I am interpreting this correctly this is just the sum [itex]\frac{1}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex].

Likes RealKiller69
LCKurtz said:
Also, you keep ignoring my last question. If there was a 2 in that denominator, how would it be different from the numerator? You can do some simplification.

HallsofIvy said:
You appear to be copying things that you really do not understand. You say that the summand is [itex]\frac{n!}{3*4*\cdot\cdot\cdot n}[/itex] but that \certainly implies that n is at least 5: [itex]\frac{5!}{3*4*5}+ \frac{6!}{3*4*5*6}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex].

Of course, n! means n(n-1)(n- 2)...(3)(2)(1) so that, for any n [itex]\frac{n!}{3*4*\cdot\cdot\cdot*n}= \frac{1*2*3*4\cdot\cdot\cdot n}{3*4*5\cdot\cdot\cdot n}= \frac{1}{2}[/itex] so, if I am interpreting this correctly this is just the sum [itex]\frac{1}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}+ \frac{1}{2}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex].

Or, you can just wait and HallsofIvy will simplify it for you.

Related to Help with Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)

1. What is the formula for calculating Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)?

The formula for calculating Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n) is n!/3, where n is the number of terms in the series.

2. How do I simplify Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)?

To simplify Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n), you can first cancel out any common factors in the numerator and denominator. Then, you can use the formula for calculating the factorial of a number to simplify the remaining terms.

3. Can I use a calculator to find the value of Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)?

Yes, you can use a calculator to find the value of Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n). Simply input the value of n and use the factorial function on your calculator to calculate n!. Then, divide n! by 3 to get the final result.

4. How does the value of n affect the value of Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)?

The value of n directly affects the value of Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n). As n increases, the value of n! also increases, resulting in a higher value for the sum. On the other hand, as n decreases, the value of n! decreases, resulting in a lower value for the sum.

5. Can you provide an example of how to solve Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n)?

As an example, let's say we want to find the value of Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n) when n=5. First, we calculate 5! = 120. Then, we divide 120 by 3 to get the final result of 40. Therefore, Sum ∑n!/(3*4*5...*n) when n=5 is equal to 40.