1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof check: continuous functions (General topology)

1. Oct 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##A \subset X##; let ##f:A \mapsto Y## be continuous; let ##Y## be Hausdorff. Show that if ##f## may be extended to a continuous function ##g: \overline{A} \mapsto Y##, then ##g## is uniquely determined by ##f##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Just looking for some verification/feedback/comments on my proof. Not sure if the way I handled it was correct, or the best way to approach the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Proof:
    Let ##g## and ##h## both be extensions of the continuous function ##f##. We wish to show that they are equal everywhere. We need not check for points in ##A## since both agree with ##f## everywhere on ##A##, so it is sufficient to consider only limit points of ##A##. First we show that if ##x \in A'##, but ##x \not \in A##, then the set ##\{x\}## is not open in ##\overline{A}##. For since ##x## is a limit point of ##A##, every open set containing ##x## intersects ##A##, so that this open set must contain more than one element.
    Now, suppose ##g(x) \not = h(x)##. By hypothesis, there exists open sets ##U## containing ##g(x)## and ##V## containing ##h(x)## such that the two sets are disjoint. Since ##g## and ##h## are both continuous functions, ##g^{-1}(U)## and ##h^{-1}(V)## must be open in ##\overline{A}##. However, note that ##g^{-1}(U) \cap h^{-1}(V) = \{x\}##, which is a contradiction, since finite intersections of open sets must be open, and we have already shown that ##\{x\}## is not open. Hence, ##g(x) = h(x)## for all ##x \in A'##, so that ##g = h## on ##\overline{A}##.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2012 #2
    Attached

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
  4. Oct 27, 2012 #3
    Hi hedipaldi,

Thanks for the response! Sorry, I forgot to explicitly mention this in the proof, but I believe that since the range $Y$ is a Hausdorff space by hypothesis, this implies that for two distinct points in $Y$, there exists disjoint open neighborhoods containing each point. This ensures that the pre-image of both of these open neighborhoods are also disjoint, except for the single point $x$.

5. Oct 27, 2012 #4
    Yes,but there may be other accumulated points of A common to the two pre images.

6. Oct 27, 2012 #5
    Hmm i see what you're saying. You mean their intersection on ##A## is empty, but they may still intersect at other points of ##A'## right?

How about this then? I can modify the argument to show that any subset of ##A' - A## cannot be open, where the contradiction will still hold since ##g^{-1}(U) \cap h^{-1}(V) \subset A' - A##. And any nonempty subset of ##A' - A## cannot be open since its elements are all limit points of ##A## and any open set containing them must intersect ##A##. Does this rectify the problem?

However, I'm confused on the part of your proof where you say "there exists ##a_1,a_2 \in A, a_1 \in g^{-1}(U), a_2 \in h^{-1}(V)##, so ##g(a_1) = g(a_2)## is in ##U \cap V##, contradiction to ##U \cap V##." What do you mean by ##g(a_1) = g(a_2)##? How did we know that ##g(a_2) \in U##?

7. Oct 27, 2012 #6
    since g(a1)=h(a2) and g(a1) is in U while h(a2) is in V,we have an element in the intersection of U and V.
    I,mistakenly wrote g insted of h.

8. Oct 27, 2012 #7
    your last argument for the proof seems to be right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook