1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: Curvature Zero -> Motion along a line

1. Sep 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Proof that, if a particle moves along a space curve with curvature 0, then its motion is a along a line.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]K=\frac{||r'(t)\times r''(t)||}{(||r'(t)||)^3}[/tex]
    (curvature of a space curve)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Assume the curve is smooth, so r'(t) cannot be the zero vector. The numerator must be 0. I evaluate the cross product (set it to 0), and get the following equations.

[tex]g'(t)h''(t) = h'(t)g''(t)[/tex]
    [tex]f'(t)h''(t) = h'(t)f''(t)[/tex]
    [tex]f'(t)g''(t) = g'(t)f''(t)[/tex]

Here I don't know what to do to get to the equation of a line.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The easiest way to see this to take the curve parametrization so that |r'(t)|=1. If you differentiate r'(t).r'(t) you see that r'(t).r''(t)=0 (so r' and r'' are perpendicular). Curvature=0 tells you also that r'(t)xr''(t)=0 (so r' and r'' are parallel). What does that tell you about r''(t)?

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3
    Thank you very much for your answer.

That would mean that r''(t) is the 0-vector. Which means that there is no acceleration, no change of direction, motion should be straight.

However, my professor told me that this is not formal enough. I tried to arrive at a similar conclusion by using ||a x b|| = ||a|| ||b|| sin(theta).

Is there no way to formally arrive "back" at the parameterized equation of a line by using the result I already have?

5. Sep 29, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If r''(t) is zero then r'(t) is a constant. So r'(t)=r'(0) for all t. Integrating r'(t) to get r(t) then gives you r(t)=r(0)+r'(0)*t, right? That isn't formal enough? It looks messy to try to argue starting with what you have to the conclusion r(t) is a line.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?