1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof dealing with bounded sets

1. May 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let A and B be nonempty bounded subsets of [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex], and let [itex] A + B [/itex] be the set of all sums [itex]a + b[/itex] where [itex]a ∈ A[/itex] and [itex]b ∈ B[/itex].
    (a) Prove [itex] sup(A+B) = supA+supB [/itex].

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let Set [itex]A=(a_1,...,a_t: a_1<...a_i<a_t)[/itex] and let set [itex]B=(b_1,...,b_s: b_1<...<b_s)[/itex] Then set [itex]A+B=(a_i+b_k: 1≤ i≤ t \text{and} 1≤ k ≤ S)[/itex] It follows that [itex] a_t= sup(A)[/itex] and [itex] b_s=sup(B) [/itex] since [itex] a_i ≤a_s [/itex] and [itex] b_s ≥ b_k[/itex] for all [itex] a_i ε A [/itex] and [itex] b_k ε B [/itex] where [itex] 1≤ k ≤s[/itex] and [itex] 1≤ k ≤s[/itex]. Now [itex] sup(A+B) = a_t+b_s[/itex] since [itex] a_t+b_s≥ a_i+b_k [/itex]
    Thus [itex] sup(A+B) = a_t+b_s= sup(A)+ sup (B) [/itex]. Now I don't know whether I should argue that [itex] a_t[/itex] and [itex] b_s [/itex] is the greatest least lower bound because I already have the elements in sets A and B are in increasing order. Other than that would my proof be correct?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2013 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see anything in the hypothesis that A and B must be finite sets which your proof assumes. Also you seem to be assuming that sup(A) is in A and sup(B) is in B which is true for finite sets but not for infinite sets.

Basically, you want to prove that sup(A)+ sup(B) is the least upper bound of A+ B so you need to prove, first, that it is an upper bound on A+ B. Suppose x is in A+ B. Then, by definition of "A+ B", x= a+ b where a is in A and b is in B. [itex]a\le sup(A)[/itex] and [itex]b\le sup(A)[/itex] so that [itex]a+ b\le sup(A)+ sup(B)[/itex] showing that sup(A)+ sup(B) is an upper bound on A+ B.

It remains to show that any other upper bound on A+ B is larger than sup(A)+ sup(B).

4. May 29, 2013 #3
    Thanks. I knew something was wrong. I should break it up into two cases then one for finite sets and one for infinite sets then.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted