Proof divergence of vector potential = 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to show that the divergence of the vector potential, A, is equal to zero using the equation del*A = (mu/4*pi) * integral of (J dot delR)/R dtau = 0, where R refers to (r-r') and tau refers to a volume integral. The individual has attempted to use product rules and the fact that delR = -del'R' but has been unable to make the integrand equal zero. It is noted that the divergence of A is chosen for convenience and is not an identity, and that the integral represents the magnetic vector potential with the current density, j. The use of the Poisson equation and its solution is also discussed.
grantdenbrock

Homework Statement

I need to show that $$\del*\vec{A(\vec{r})}=\frac{\mu}{4\pi}\int{\frac{\vec{J{vec\r'}}}{\vec{R}}}d\tau=0$$
where A is the vector potential and R refers to "script r" or (r-r') where r is source point of charge and r' is the measurement point. tau refers to a volume integral. I have tried many times now to show this by bringing del into the integrand using product rules and the fact that $$\delR=-\del'R'$$ but cannot make it equal zero. I am not sure if there is something I have overlooked or another method to use but any help or suggestions are much appreciated!

Homework Equations

del*R=-del'R' must be used at some point[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

My solution thus far goes like this (Sorry My latex is awful so I will just write out my method)
1) bring Del into the integrand
2) using product rule rule of dot products expand into 2 terms each with its own dot product
3) del*J' =0 since del operates on unprimed coordinates
4) J' del*1/R does not equal zero therefore integrand does not equal zero :/[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I should add that its divergence of A, meaning del dot A =0 . Also, I am aware of the other thread regarding this problem however that thread does not contain any useful information or attempt a solution.

From what you've said, you should be able to show that
$$ \nabla \cdot \mathbf{A}(\mathbf{x}) = - \frac{\mu}{4\pi} \int \mathbf{J}(\mathbf{x}') \cdot \nabla' \left(\frac{1}{|\mathbf{x}- \mathbf{x}'|} \right) d\mathbf{x}'.$$
The next step would be to integrate by parts and argue that both terms vanish independently subject to reasonable assumptions.

You write "... r is source point of charge ..." but don't you mean "source point of current density"? The integral certainly looks like the magnetic vector potential, especially with the μ in it ... based on that assumption I offer the following:

∇⋅A
= 0 is not an identity. It is chosen as a convenience.
We define A as H = ∇ x A.
By Maxwell, ∇ x H = j (j = current density).
So j = ∇ x (∇ x A).
But by a mathematical identity, this can be rewritten as
j = ∇(∇⋅A) - ∇2A
So we choose ∇⋅A = 0, giving
2A = -j
i.e. the Poisson equation, the solution for which is your integral. BTW the denominator in the integrand should read |R|. You can't divide one vector by another, at least not to my knowledge.

1. What is the proof of divergence of vector potential being equal to zero?

The proof of divergence of vector potential being equal to zero is a fundamental result in vector calculus called the Helmholtz decomposition theorem. It states that any vector field can be decomposed into a sum of an irrotational (divergence-free) field and a solenoidal (curl-free) field. In the case of the vector potential, this means that it can be expressed as the sum of a scalar potential (which has zero divergence) and a magnetic vector potential (which has zero curl).

2. Why is it important for the divergence of vector potential to be zero?

The divergence of vector potential being equal to zero is important for a few reasons. First, it is a consequence of Maxwell's equations, which are the fundamental equations that describe electromagnetism. Second, it allows us to express the magnetic field in terms of the vector potential, making calculations and modeling of electromagnetic systems easier. Lastly, it is a result that is used extensively in many areas of physics and engineering, such as electromagnetism, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

3. How is the divergence of vector potential related to the concept of gauge invariance?

The divergence of vector potential being equal to zero is intimately related to the concept of gauge invariance. Gauge invariance is a mathematical symmetry in which the physical laws and equations governing a system remain unchanged under certain transformations. In the case of the vector potential, the value of the potential can be shifted by a gradient of a scalar function without affecting the physical properties of the system. This is known as a gauge transformation, and it results in the divergence of the vector potential being zero.

4. What are some real-world applications of the proof of divergence of vector potential being equal to zero?

The proof of divergence of vector potential being equal to zero has many real-world applications. One example is in the field of electromagnetism, where it is used to model and understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields, such as in antennas, motors, and generators. It is also used in fluid dynamics to describe the flow of incompressible fluids and in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in a magnetic field.

5. Are there any exceptions to the proof of divergence of vector potential being equal to zero?

There are some exceptions to the proof of divergence of vector potential being equal to zero. For example, if the vector potential is defined in a region where the magnetic field is changing rapidly, the divergence may not be exactly zero. This is because the vector potential is only well-defined in regions where the magnetic field is smooth and continuous. Additionally, in certain situations involving non-conservative forces, such as in the presence of magnetic monopoles, the divergence of the vector potential may not be zero. However, these exceptions are not common and do not affect the overall usefulness and importance of the proof.