Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof for {lim of exp = exp of lim}

1. Jan 29, 2016 #1
    I don't know how to Google appropriately for this, since the kind of keywords I use present me with search results that try to define the exponential function using limits instead of what I am trying to ask:

What does the proof look like for the following (assuming f(x) is "nice"). Any sites that can show this? Thanks.

$$\lim_{x\rightarrow c} e^{f(x)}=e^{\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)}$$

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Consider expanding the exponential into power series then use the distributive property of limit.

4. Jan 29, 2016 #3

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

5. Jan 29, 2016 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is a circular proof. In order to Taylor/MacLaurin expand a function, you need to have proven its continuity.

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

7. Jan 30, 2016 #6

Svein

Science Advisor

Hm. I wonder...

Define a function Φ(x) as Φ(x)=0 for x≤0; [itex] \phi(x)=e^{-\frac{1}{x^{2}}}[/itex] for x>0. Now Φ(x) is "nice" as it is C, even at x=0.

8. Jan 30, 2016 #7

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Maybe, but is smoothness of ##f## necessary? Without considering details it looks like pointwise convergence at ##c## should be enough.

9. Jan 30, 2016 #8
    It seems that it is just an application of the rule of composition of limits (if ##f## nice means that it has a finite limit in ##c##).

The rule states that if ##h(x) \to b ## as ## x\to a##, and if ##g(x) \to \ell ## as ##x \to b##, then ##g(h(x)) \to \ell ## as ##x\to a##.
    If you add ##g## continuous (like ##x\to\exp(x)##) then ##\ell = g(b)##

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  10. Jan 30, 2016 #9

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think , like Fresh_42 said, that continuity is one of the simplest ways of going about it, continuity implies sequential continuity (though the converse is not true)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook