Proof for {lim of exp = exp of lim}

• Thread starter DocZaius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding the proof for the limit of the exponential function using Google, as most search results focus on defining the function using limits. The conversation suggests using the distributive property of limit and searching for "continuity of the exponential function" to find a proof. The conversation also mentions the importance of the function being "nice" or having all orders of derivative, and the possibility of using the rule of composition of limits with continuity to prove the limit.
DocZaius
I don't know how to Google appropriately for this, since the kind of keywords I use present me with search results that try to define the exponential function using limits instead of what I am trying to ask:

What does the proof look like for the following (assuming f(x) is "nice"). Any sites that can show this? Thanks.

$$\lim_{x\rightarrow c} e^{f(x)}=e^{\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow c} f(x)}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider expanding the exponential into power series then use the distributive property of limit.

blue_leaf77 said:
Consider expanding the exponential into power series then use the distributive property of limit.

That is a circular proof. In order to Taylor/MacLaurin expand a function, you need to have proven its continuity.

Hm. I wonder...

Define a function Φ(x) as Φ(x)=0 for x≤0; [itex] \phi(x)=e^{-\frac{1}{x^{2}}}[/itex] for x>0. Now Φ(x) is "nice" as it is C, even at x=0.

blue_leaf77 said:
Well I interpret the OP's wording of "assuming f(x) is "nice"" as to be having all orders of derivative.
Maybe, but is smoothness of ##f## necessary? Without considering details it looks like pointwise convergence at ##c## should be enough.

It seems that it is just an application of the rule of composition of limits (if ##f## nice means that it has a finite limit in ##c##).

The rule states that if ##h(x) \to b ## as ## x\to a##, and if ##g(x) \to \ell ## as ##x \to b##, then ##g(h(x)) \to \ell ## as ##x\to a##.
If you add ##g## continuous (like ##x\to\exp(x)##) then ##\ell = g(b)##

Last edited:
I think , like Fresh_42 said, that continuity is one of the simplest ways of going about it, continuity implies sequential continuity (though the converse is not true)

What is the proof for the limit of e^x equaling e to the limit of x?

The proof for this statement is based on the definition of the limit. Using the limit definition, we can show that as x approaches a certain value, the limit of e^x also approaches the same value. This is because the exponential function is continuous, meaning that the limit of e^x and e to the limit of x will be the same.

Can this proof be applied to other functions?

Yes, this proof can be applied to other continuous functions as well. The key is to use the limit definition and show that as x approaches a certain value, the limit of the function also approaches the same value.

What is the significance of this proof in mathematics?

This proof is significant because it allows us to simplify calculations involving exponential functions. We can now use the limit of e^x instead of having to calculate e^x for every value of x. This makes solving complex equations much easier.

Are there any exceptions to this proof?

Yes, there are some cases where this proof may not hold. For example, if the limit of x is approaching infinity, the limit of e^x will also approach infinity, but e to the limit of x will not be defined. Additionally, this proof assumes that the limit of x is finite. If the limit of x is infinite, the proof may not hold.

How does this proof relate to real-world applications?

This proof has many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of science and engineering. It is used to model exponential growth and decay, which is common in biological and physical systems. It is also used in finance to calculate compound interest and in physics to describe radioactive decay.