Proof: if A is subset of B then closure of A is subset of closure of B

In summary, the conversation is about proving a theorem using the definition of closure and closed sets. The participants suggest stating the definitions and using the fact that the closure of a set is the smallest closed set that contains it. They also mention that they are not allowed to give complete solutions due to forum rules. The conversation is moved to a more appropriate forum and the importance of stating definitions is emphasized.
chessbrah
I'm thinking proof by contradiction but I can't seem to get anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about limit points. x is in the closure of A, so it is a limit point of A...

You should probably state the definition of "closure" that you would like to use, and maybe also your definition of "closed". I like the definition that says that the closure of E is the smallest closed set that contains E. If we use that definition, the proof is very simple.

I see that you're new here. If you're wondering why we don't just tell you the complete solution, it's because the forum rules tell us not to do that when someone posts a textbook-style question. We are only allowed to give you hints, and tell you if you're doing something wrong.

It might be easier to prove that if A is contained in a closed set (here the closure of B, which follows since B is contained in the closure of B and A is contained in B), then the closure of A is contained in the same closed set.

May I ask why this thread is here? It isn't number theory, and it looks like homework to me.

PAllen said:
May I ask why this thread is here? It isn't number theory, and it looks like homework to me.
I agree. I have moved the thread to "Homework and Coursework- Calculus and Beyond".

I also agree with Fredrik that you need to state what definition of closure you are using. One common definition is that the closure of a set, A, is the smallest closed set that contains A. Using that definition this theorem is pretty close to trivial.

What is the definition of closure?

Closure is a mathematical concept that refers to the smallest set that contains all the elements of a given set. It is often denoted by a bar over the set, such as A̅.

What does it mean for one set to be a subset of another?

If A is a subset of B, it means that all the elements of A are also elements of B. A can be equal to B or it can be a proper subset, meaning that it contains some but not all of the elements of B.

How does the closure of a set relate to its subsets?

If A is a subset of B, then the closure of A is also a subset of the closure of B. This is because the closure of A will contain all the elements of A, which are also elements of B, and therefore will also be contained in the closure of B.

What is the purpose of studying closure?

The concept of closure is important in many areas of mathematics, including topology, functional analysis, and abstract algebra. It allows us to define limits, continuity, and completeness in a more general and abstract way, leading to deeper insights and applications.

What are some real-world examples of sets and their closures?

An example of a set and its closure is a set of rational numbers and its closure, which is the set of real numbers. Another example is a set of open intervals on a real line and its closure, which is the set of closed intervals on the same real line.