1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear subspaces and dimensions Proof

1. Sep 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Pn denote the linear space of all real polynomials of degree </= n, where n is fixed. Let S denote the set of all polynomials f in Pn satisfying the condition given. Determine whether or not S is a subspace of Pn. If S is a subspace, compute dim S.

The given condition if f(0)=f(1)

2. Relevant equations
    Closure axioms:
    (1)Closure under addition: For every pair of elements x and y in V there corresponds a unique element in V called the sum of x and y denoted by x+y.
    (2) Closure under multiplication: For every x and y in V and every real number a there corresponds an element in V called the product of a and x, denoted by ax.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I
    know that S is a subspace of Pn if S is a subset of Pn and it satisfies the closure axioms. So I need to prove these three things, but they seem trivial to me.

S c Pn because S: f(0)=f(1) has all elements in Pn. Is this enough of a proof to draw the conclusion?

For the closure axioms, I know that I have to show that f(x)+g(x) is an element in Pn, but again this seems trivial, I am unsure how to do this. Same for the closure axiom of multiplication.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2014 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I take is S is defined as ##S = \{ f \in P_n\ \vert\ f(0)=f(1) \}##. If so, why would you think every element of ##P_n## is in S? What about f(x)=x? It's in ##P_n## (if n>0) but ##f(0) \ne f(1)##.

Or is your reasoning that all elements of S are in ##P_n##, so closure is automatically satisfied? It's true that closure is satisfied for ##P_n##, e.g., f+g will be in ##P_n##, but you can't say the same thing about S, i.e., f+g isn't necessarily in S even if f and g are both in S.

4. Sep 26, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is it a secret or are you going to tell us what the "condition given" is?

Is f(0) = f(1) the secret condition?

You haven't shown closure, If ##f,g\in S## what does that give you? Then show ##cf## and ##f+g## are in ##S## too.

5. Sep 26, 2014 #4
    I'm sorry I forgot to write the given condition. I just edited the post to add it. Yes, the condition if f(0)=f(1). I am very confused as how to prove all of this. I am trying to prove that S is a subset of Pn and prove the 2 closure axioms for S.

6. Sep 26, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Isn't ##S## given to be a subset satisfying f(0)=f(1)? You don't have to prove it is a subset.

In post #4 at the end I asked:

If f,g∈S what does that give you? Once you answer that you can talk about whether cf and f+g are in S.

7. Sep 26, 2014 #6
    So would I say, let f and g be in S such that they satisfy the given condition. Now f+g exist in S because f(0)+g(0)=f(1)+g(1) therefore the first axiom stands. And for the second cf exists in S because cf(0)=cf(1), therefore the second axiom stands. Is this a valid argument?

8. Sep 26, 2014 #7

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the idea, but you could certainly phrase it better. Instead of saying "let f and g be in S such that they satisfy the given condition" you could say: Suppose ##f,g\in S##. Then f(0)=f(1) and g(0) = g(1). Adding these equations gives f(0)+g(0) = f(1)+g(1) so ##f+g\in S##. It is very simple but needs to be stated properly. Similarly for the ##cf## case.

9. Sep 26, 2014 #8
    Thank you, this helps. I knew what the conclusion needed to be but had a hard time phrasing it. Thank you!

10. Sep 27, 2014 #9

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Seems like a strange thing to say when all elements of S satisfy the given condition.

This is how I usually phrase these things: Let ##f,g\in S## be arbitrary. We have
    $$(f+g)(0)=f(0)+g(0)=f(1)+g(1)=(f+g)(1).$$ This implies that ##f+g\in S##.

This version makes it very clear that we're using the definition of f+g. (If we don't use it, we can't claim to have proved a statement about f+g, so it's pretty essential to make it clear that we're using it). Similarly, you should make it clear that you're using the definition of cf when you prove the other one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted