Proof - If the square of an integer is even,. .

In summary, the conversation is about proving that if the square of an integer is even, then the integer itself is even. The person is struggling to find a way to prove this and wonders if they can directly prove the statement n=2k, n^2 = 2(2k^2). They are also considering proving it the other way around, by showing that if an integer is odd, its square is odd. There is a discussion about using proof by contradiction and using the definition of a prime number. The conversation ends with the person thanking others for their help and finding the website useful.
yanjt
Hi,
I have no idea on how to start to do this question.
If the square of an integer is even,then the integer itself is even

I try to check some books but i can't get any similar examples.I wonder if I can directly prove the n=2k, n^2 = 2(2k^2).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

But that is the converse of what you were asked to show. You want to show that if m^2 is even, then m is even. One of the definitions of a prime number makes this instantaneous. What definitions of prime do you know?

Alternatively you can show that if n is odd, then n^2 is odd.

Welcome to PF!

yanjt said:
Hi,
I have no idea on how to start to do this question.
If the square of an integer is even,then the integer itself is even

I try to check some books but i can't get any similar examples.I wonder if I can directly prove the n=2k, n^2 = 2(2k^2).

Thanks!

Hi yanjt! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Try proving it the other way round:

if an integer is odd, its square is odd. :wink:

Prime number is number that can be divided by or itself.
if i prove that an integer is odd,its square is odd,I am not using contradiction to prove it,right?I can show that if an integer is odd,its square is odd.Yet, how can i show that if the square of an integer is even,the integer itself is even?

Thanks for ur help!

p/s:Thanks tiny-tim!I found this website is really useful!=)

What's wrong with using proof by contradiction?

Nothing is wrong using contradiction.What i mean is that,i wonder if proof "if n is odd,n^2 is odd" is a kind of contradiction?

1. What does it mean for a square of an integer to be even?

When we say the square of an integer is even, it means that the resulting number when the integer is multiplied by itself is divisible by 2 without leaving any remainder.

2. Is every square of an integer even?

No, not every square of an integer is even. If an integer is odd, its square will also be odd. Only even integers have even squares.

3. Can an integer have both an even and an odd square?

No, an integer can only have one square. Whether it is even or odd depends on the original integer. If the integer is even, its square will also be even. If the integer is odd, its square will also be odd.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that the square of an even integer is always even?

No, the rule holds true for all even integers. Any even integer multiplied by itself will always result in an even number.

5. How is the concept of an even square of an integer useful in mathematics?

The concept of an even square of an integer is useful in various mathematical concepts such as number theory, algebra, and geometry. It can help in solving equations, finding patterns, and proving theorems.