Proving Dyadic Squares Interaction Rules

• Thread starter Mr Davis 97
  • Start date
In summary: For example, it might be good to show that, given two dyadic squares ##[a/2^k, (a+1)/2^k] \times [b/2^k, (b+1)/2^k]## and ##[c/2^k, (c+1)/2^k] \times [d/2^k, (d+1)/2^k]##, the only way they can intersect is if ##a = c## or ##b = d##.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

A rational number p/q is dyadic if q is a power of 2, q = 2k for some nonnegative
integer k. For example, 0, 3/8, 3/1, −3/256, are dyadic rationals, but 1/3, 5/12
are not. A dyadic interval is [a, b] where a = p/2k and b = (p + 1)/2k. For
example, [.75, 1] is a dyadic interval but [1, π], [0, 2], and [.25, .75] are not. A
dyadic cube is the product of dyadic intervals having equal length. The set of
dyadic rationals may be denoted as Q2 and the dyadic lattice as Qm2
Prove that any two dyadic squares (i.e., planar dyadic cubes) of the same
size are either identical, intersect along a common edge, intersect at a
common vertex, or do not intersect at all.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After constructing many dyadic squares, I can intuitively see why this is true, but I don't know what a proof would really entail. How do I show in general that these are the 4 and only 4 ways dyadic squares could interact?

EDIT:
Actually, I might have a rough solution. The length of any dyadic interval is ##1/2^k##, hence, if any two dyadic squares have the same length, then it must be the case that they have the same value of k. Hence, any dyadic square is determined by an integer coordinate pair ##(a,b)## where ##[a/2^k, (a+1)/2^k] \times [b/2^k, (b+1)/2^k]## is an arbitrary dyadic square. Since ##a## and ##b## are integers, the possible dyadic squares of the same fixed length can be represented as occupying an integer lattice where all squares are unit squares in the lattice, which clearly shows that any two dyadic squares of the same size are either identical, intersect along a common edge, intersect at a common vertex, or do not intersect at all.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

A rational number p/q is dyadic if q is a power of 2, q = 2k for some nonnegative
integer k. For example, 0, 3/8, 3/1, −3/256, are dyadic rationals, but 1/3, 5/12
are not. A dyadic interval is [a, b] where a = p/2k and b = (p + 1)/2k. For
example, [.75, 1] is a dyadic interval but [1, π], [0, 2], and [.25, .75] are not. A
dyadic cube is the product of dyadic intervals having equal length. The set of
dyadic rationals may be denoted as Q2 and the dyadic lattice as Qm2
Prove that any two dyadic squares (i.e., planar dyadic cubes) of the same
size are either identical, intersect along a common edge, intersect at a
common vertex, or do not intersect at all.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After constructing many dyadic squares, I can intuitively see why this is true, but I don't know what a proof would really entail. How do I show in general that these are the 4 and only 4 ways dyadic squares could interact?

EDIT:
Actually, I might have a rough solution. The length of any dyadic interval is ##1/2^k##, hence, if any two dyadic squares have the same length, then it must be the case that they have the same value of k. Hence, any dyadic square is determined by an integer coordinate pair ##(a,b)## where ##[a/2^k, (a+1)/2^k] \times [b/2^k, (b+1)/2^k]## is an arbitrary dyadic square. Since ##a## and ##b## are integers, the possible dyadic squares of the same fixed length can be represented as occupying an integer lattice where all squares are unit squares in the lattice, which clearly shows that any two dyadic squares of the same size are either identical, intersect along a common edge, intersect at a common vertex, or do not intersect at all.
Yes, I think that's good enough. A pedant might ask for a more rigorous proof of the last part.

1. How do you define "dyadic squares" in the context of this study?

Dyadic squares refer to a specific type of two-dimensional matrix or grid structure, where each cell or square is filled with a numerical value. In this study, dyadic squares are used to represent the interactions between two individuals or entities.

2. What is the purpose of proving the interaction rules of dyadic squares?

The purpose is to establish a set of mathematical rules that can accurately represent and predict the interactions between individuals or entities in a dyadic square scenario. This can provide valuable insights and understanding in various fields such as social behavior, game theory, and network analysis.

3. What are the key components of the interaction rules in dyadic squares?

The key components include the values assigned to each cell in the dyadic square, the direction of interaction (e.g. left to right, top to bottom), and the specific mathematical operations used to calculate the resulting value of each interaction.

4. How is the accuracy of the interaction rules in dyadic squares evaluated?

The accuracy is typically evaluated through statistical testing and comparison to real-world data or simulations. This can involve measures such as correlation coefficients, mean squared error, or accuracy rates.

5. How can the findings of this study be applied in practical settings?

The findings can be applied in various fields, such as predicting and analyzing social networks, decision-making processes, and group dynamics. It can also inform the development of mathematical models and algorithms for various applications, such as artificial intelligence and machine learning.