Proof in heisenbergs uncertainty relation involving bra-ket

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
lavster
Messages
213
Reaction score
0
hey, can someone show me the step between these two lines of equations please:

[tex](\Delta A)^2=<\psi|A^2|\psi>-<\psi|A|\psi>^2[/tex]
[tex]=<\psi|(A-<A>)^2|\psi>[/tex]

where A is an operator and [tex]\psi[/tex] is the wavefunction and [tex]<A>[/tex] is the expectation value of A
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lavster said:
[tex]=<\psi|(A-<A>)^2|\psi>[/tex]
Just expand this expression, realizing that <A> is just a number. ([tex]<A> = <\psi|A|\psi>[/tex])
 
Last edited:
thanks for quick reply! however I am still not getting it. could you write it out expliitly please?
 
lavster said:
thanks for quick reply! however I am still not getting it. could you write it out expliitly please?
[tex]<\psi|(A-<A>)^2|\psi> = <\psi|A^2 -2A<A> + <A>^2 |\psi>[/tex]

I'll let you do the rest.
 
Just a little LaTeX tip: Use \langle and \rangle instead of < and >. (Doc AI's answer is good, so I have nothing to add, except the complete solution, but you should try it yourself first. Note: "just a number" really means "just a number times the identity operator". OK, I guess I did have something to add :smile:).
 
I thought those bras and kets looked a bit off. :rolleyes: (Thanks, Fredrik!)
 
Doc Al said:
I thought those bras and kets looked a bit off. :rolleyes: (Thanks, Fredrik!)

Must... not... say... I... prefer... bras... off... must... not say... to staff...ARGGGH.. Too late. :smile: Be gentle!