1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: integers divisibility property

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    Someone please help me with this qiestion:

Prove that for all integers a, b, and c, if a divides b but not c then a does not
    divide b + c, but the converse is false.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks like a homework problem to me! First write out the definitions: If "a divides b" then b= an for some integer n. I would use "proof by contradiction". Suppose you know that a divides b+c, that is, that b+c= am for some integer m and that b= an for some integer n. Can you use that to contradict "a does not divide c"?

The "converse" of that statement is, of course, "if a does not divide b+ c, then a divides b but not c". It should be fairly simple to find a counter example for that, or the more general "converse", "if a does not divide b+ c, then it must divide one but not the other".

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I imagine the question does refer to the more general converse. The specific converse can be disproved simply by symmetry arguments, without using a shred of number theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?