Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: integers divisibility property

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    Someone please help me with this qiestion:

Prove that for all integers a, b, and c, if a divides b but not c then a does not
    divide b + c, but the converse is false.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks like a homework problem to me! First write out the definitions: If "a divides b" then b= an for some integer n. I would use "proof by contradiction". Suppose you know that a divides b+c, that is, that b+c= am for some integer m and that b= an for some integer n. Can you use that to contradict "a does not divide c"?

The "converse" of that statement is, of course, "if a does not divide b+ c, then a divides b but not c". It should be fairly simple to find a counter example for that, or the more general "converse", "if a does not divide b+ c, then it must divide one but not the other".

4. Nov 14, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I imagine the question does refer to the more general converse. The specific converse can be disproved simply by symmetry arguments, without using a shred of number theory.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?