1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving functions and intersection

1. Mar 28, 2012 #1
    Prove that [tex]f(\cap T_\alpha)=\cap f(T_\alpha)[/tex] for all choices of [tex](T_\alpha) \alpha \in \lambda[/tex] if and only if f is one-to-one.

I've been working on this on and off for a day and have nothing to show for it... Any help pointing me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Also, more important then this question, can any of you recommend additional resources to review this type of stuff, mostly functions, order isomorphisms, etc. The book I am using does not give as many examples as I'd like.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not really that hard. First assume f is one-to-one. Now can you show that if y is an element of [itex]f(\cap T_\alpha)[/itex] then it is an element of [itex]\cap f(T_\alpha)[/itex] and vice versa? For the opposite direction I'd do the contrapositive. Show if f is not one-to-one then you can find a counterexample.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook