1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof involving the mean value theorem and derivatives

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For [itex]\mu\geq 0, s\geq 1,[/itex] prove that [itex](1+s)^{\mu}\geq 1 + s^{\mu}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have written a proof involving the mean value theorem and derivatives, but there must be a simpler way! I think this should be done purely algebraically. Instructor insists that [itex]\mu[/itex] is an arbitrary non-negative real number, not just a rational or an integer. So to define it we need log, etc. But I believe there is a solution that does not go into this...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2012 #2
    Re: ddd

Forgot to say, no binomial theorem allowed

4. Jan 17, 2012 #3

Whoops, meant [itex]\mu \geq 1[/itex] and [itex]s\geq 0[/itex], not the other way around. However, they are both reals.

5. Jan 17, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What does this question have to do with the subject "ddd" of the thread?

6. Jan 17, 2012 #5

Whoops, meant [itex]\mu \geq 1[/itex] and [itex]s\geq 0[/itex], not the other way around. However, they are both reals.

7. Jan 17, 2012 #6

I apologize, I forgot to enter a thread name that makes sense. If we can delete this one and repost it, I'd be happy to.

8. Jan 17, 2012 #7

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

(I changed the thread title for you.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook