1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of 2nd Derivative of a Sum of a Geometric Series

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I am trying to prove how \(g''(r)=\sum\limits_{k=2}^\infty ak(k-1)r^{k-2}=0+0+2a+6ar+\cdots=\dfrac{2a}{(1-r)^3}=2a(1-r)^{-3}\).

I don't know what I am doing wrong and am at my wits end.

3. The attempt at a solution (The index of the summation is always k=2 to infinity)

Ʃak(k-1)r^(k-1)
    =a Ʃ k(k-1)r^(k-2)
    =a Ʃ (r^k)''
    =a (r^2 / (1-r)''

From this point I get a mess, and the incorrect answer. The thing I have a problem is I think Ʃ (r^k)'' when k is from 2 to infinity is r^2/(1-r), since the first term in this sequence is r^2. I don't think that is correct though
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To fix your LaTeX expression, I inserted the correct tags, itex and /itex in [ ] brackets.

Since the sum starts at k=2, you would not have those first two zero terms. It would be:

[itex]g''(r)=\sum\limits_{k=2}^\infty ak(k-1)r^{k-2}=2a+6ar+\cdots=\dfrac{2a}{(1-r)^3}=2a(1-r)^{-3}[/itex]

So, what is it that you're supposed to be proving ?

4. Nov 8, 2012 #3
    it turns out that what i was doing was actually correct

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook