Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Proof of additive property for sine

1. Jan 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We are supposed to prove that sin(x+y) = cos(x)sin(y) + sin(x)cos(y)

2. Relevant equations
    cos(A-pi/2) - sin(A)
    sin(pi/2 - A) = Cos(A)
    sin(A-pi/2) = -cos(A)

3. The attempt at a solution
    We had to prove all of the relevant equations but were allowed to work in groups and now that I am alone, I am just having trouble pushing off and getting started. If someone can give me a push in the right direction, I feel like I will be able to finish it on my own. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The cited relevant equations aren't enough to do this proof. Is there anything else useful you can use?

You said you've proven similar things in a group -- what sorts of things? And how were they proven? Can you do something similar?

4. Jan 21, 2010 #3
    We also have the difference property for Cosine: cos(A-B)=cos(A)cos(B)+sin(A)sin(B) and we have that same thing written with x instead of A and once with x instead of A and with y-pi/2 instead of B. The things listed under relevant equations are the things we proved in class. Once, we used a triangle with one angle equal to A in order to prove sin(pi/2 - A) = cos(A) and we know that sin(-x) = -sin(x)

5. Jan 22, 2010 #4

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If you know that cos(A- B)= cos(A)cos(B)+ Sin(A)sin(B) then you also know that cos(A+ B)= cos(A- (-B))= cos(A)cos(-B)+ sin(A)sin(-B). And since cos(-B)= cos(B) and sin(-B)= -sin(B), cos(A+ B)= cos(A)cos(B)- sin(A)sin(B). Now use the fact that [itex]sin^2(\theta)= 1- cos^2(\theta)[/itex] with [itex]\theta= x+ y[/itex].

6. Jan 22, 2010 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Another approach is to write

[tex]\sin{(a+b)} = \cos{(\frac \pi 2 - (a + b))} = \cos{((\frac \pi 2 - a)-b))}[/tex]

and use the cosine formula.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook