Proof of Complex Number Conjugates

In summary: I'm just saying that complex conjugation is an operation that can be applied to complex numbers, not to functions.
typeinnocent

Homework Statement

Consider: y = f(x) = ax^2+bx+c, where a, b and c are real constants. Prove that y*=f(x*)

Homework Equations

conjugate of a complex number x=a+jb and x*=a-jb

The Attempt at a Solution

You can show the answer of f(x*) by substituting (a-jb) for each x in f(x), but I was confused on how you do the conjugate of an entire function. Would you try to find the roots of y and f(x*) each and then take the conjugate roots of y, and if they are the same then y*= f(x*)?

Physics news on Phys.org
typeinnocent said:
but I was confused on how you do the conjugate of an entire function.
In everything you've written, conjugation is only being applied to complex values, so I'm not sure why you're asking this.

Actually, in everything you've written, the only expressions that have been conjugated are the variables themselves. But even in an expression like
f(x)*
complex conjugation is being applied to the value of f(x), not to f.

As an aside, you have an error in your grammar (which may betray a misundersanding of logic): you probably meant
(Definition of the) conjugate of a complex number: If x=a+jb then x*=a-jb​
which means something very different from what you wrote.

You'll probably never encounter it so it probably doesn't matter, but the conjugate of the actual function f is f itself. The definition of conjugation should insist that
f*(x*) = f(x)*
and if we invoke the theorem you are trying to prove along with substituting x* for x, we get:
f*(x) = f(x*)* = f(x)​
so the functions f* and f are equal. (Because they are "pointwise equal" -- they have the same value on every input)

Last edited:
I'm sorry, but I'm really confused by your explanation. You said that for f(x)*, "complex conjugation is being applied to the value of f(x)." Do you mean then, that the complex conjugation is being applied to the roots of f(x), since those give the values of f(x)?

Perhaps I'm reading my question wrong, so let me try to phrase it the way I'm understanding it - maybe then you can help me clarify my thinking. I also didn't realize until now that we're supposed to let x = [tex]\alpha[/tex]+j[tex]\beta[/tex], so that may also be a component of my misunderstanding.

I solved f(x) for x=[tex]\alpha[/tex]+j[tex]\beta[/tex], which ended up equaling (a*[tex]\alpha[/tex]^2+b*[tex]\alpha[/tex]+c) + j(2*a*[tex]\alpha[/tex]*[tex]\beta[/tex]-a*[tex]\beta[/tex]^2+b*[tex]\beta[/tex]). When I solved f(x) for x = [tex]\alpha[/tex]-j[tex]\beta[/tex] (the complex conjugate), I got (a*[tex]\alpha[/tex]^2+b*[tex]\alpha[/tex]+c) - j(2*a*[tex]\alpha[/tex]*[tex]\beta[/tex]+a*[tex]\beta[/tex]^2+b*[tex]\beta[/tex]). My guess now would be to take the complex conjugate of the solution of f(x) to see if the two solutions will be equal, but that doesn't happen. The complex conjugate of f(x) is (a*[tex]\alpha[/tex]^2+b*[tex]\alpha[/tex]+c) - j(-2*a*[tex]\alpha[/tex]*[tex]\beta[/tex]+a*[tex]\beta[/tex]^2-b*[tex]\beta[/tex]).

So now perhaps you can tell me if I'm still not understanding the question, or if I'm headed down the wrong path in trying to get the solution. I really appreciate the help!

Your method is indeed a reasonable one. But you've made an arithmetic error. :frown:

P.S. once you get this worked out, you might try doing another proof that uses the algebraic properties of *, rather than splitting everything into real and imaginary parts.

Do you mean then, that the complex conjugation is being applied to the roots of f(x), since those give the values of f(x)?
I really have no idea what you mean by that...

To prove that y*=f(x*), we can use the definition of complex conjugates. The complex conjugate of a complex number x=a+jb is x*=a-jb. Therefore, the complex conjugate of f(x) can be written as f(x*)=a*x*^2+b*x*+c. Now, to prove that y*=f(x*), we can substitute a-jb for each x in f(x) and compare it to f(x*). This can be done as follows:

f(x*)=a*x*^2+b*x*+c
=f((a-jb)*)=a*(a-jb)*^2+b*(a-jb)+c
=a*(a+jb)^2+b*(a+jb)+c
=a*(a^2+2ajb-b^2)+b*a+b*j*b+c
=(a^3-2ab^2+a*c)+(a*b+a*c)+(b^2-2a^2b+b*c)+c
=a^3-2ab^2+b^2+c+b^2-a^2b+2ab+c
=a^3-b^2+c+a^2b+2ab+c
=a^3+b^2+2ab+c=a^3+b^2+c+2ab=y*

Therefore, we can see that y*=f(x*) and thus, it is proven that the complex conjugates of y and f(x) are equal. This shows that the real part of y is equal to the real part of f(x) and the imaginary part of y is equal to the imaginary part of f(x), which ultimately proves that y*=f(x*).

1. What is the proof of complex number conjugates?

The proof of complex number conjugates is a mathematical concept that states the relationship between a complex number and its conjugate. A complex number is written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit. The conjugate of a complex number is written as a - bi, where the sign of the imaginary part is changed. The proof shows that when a complex number is multiplied by its conjugate, the result is always a real number.

2. Why is the proof of complex number conjugates important?

The proof of complex number conjugates is important because it helps us understand the properties of complex numbers. It shows that the product of a complex number and its conjugate is always a real number, which is useful in simplifying complex expressions and solving equations involving complex numbers.

3. How is the proof of complex number conjugates derived?

The proof of complex number conjugates is derived using the distributive property of multiplication and the fact that the square of the imaginary unit i is equal to -1. By multiplying a complex number by its conjugate and simplifying the resulting expression, we can see that the imaginary terms cancel out and only the real terms remain, proving the relationship between a complex number and its conjugate.

4. Can the proof of complex number conjugates be extended to higher powers?

Yes, the proof of complex number conjugates can be extended to higher powers. For example, the product of a complex number and its conjugate raised to the power of n is equal to the real part of the complex number raised to the power of n. This can be seen by expanding the expression using the binomial theorem and simplifying the imaginary terms.

5. How can the proof of complex number conjugates be applied in real life?

The proof of complex number conjugates has many real-life applications, especially in fields such as engineering and physics. In electrical engineering, for example, it is used in analyzing circuits with AC currents, which involve complex numbers. In physics, it is used in understanding the behavior of waves and vibrations, which can be described using complex numbers. Overall, the proof helps us better understand the properties of complex numbers and their applications in various fields.