Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Euler's Forumla, Trig Addition, and Equating Coefficients

1. Dec 11, 2008 #1
    One can look into any precalculus book and find a proof of the addition formulas of sine and cosine. Though as most are aware there is a quick way to get the formulas by using Euler's Formula. But to get the formulas by eulers formula, you must equate coefficients with respect to the imaginary part i.

My question is this, equating coefficients was taught to be used for polynomials, because a set of coefficients uniquely determines a polynomial. How can you show the same is true with respect to i? Yes it looks very intuitive, but I'm wondering if there's something a little more powerful than that.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 11, 2008 #2
    What do you mean by "equate coefficients"? Maybe you could show us what theorem you're trying to prove to make it clearer.

4. Dec 11, 2008 #3
    Theres, only one addition formula for sine...... and then there is the euler's formula e^ix=.... and only one way to equate coefficients..... I would write them out but I dont know how to embed tex.

5. Dec 11, 2008 #4
    if you have a + bi = c + di, then by the definition of equality of complex numbers you must have a = c and b = d. so you can equate the real and imaginary parts, if that's what you're asking.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?